bottle cleaning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Countryboy73

Reaction score
I've brewed a few kits from Mr beer trying to find one that I like. When I empty a bottle I rince it out set it aside to dry. When I bottle again I wash the bottle with hot water then use the 1step sanitizer. This might be a stupid ? but, if I rince it out after drinking the beer do I need to wash it and sanitize it before bottling again or could I just sanitize it before bottling? Or would there be a possibility of ruining the beer by not washing the bottles.

If you cleaned well with water, let dry then sanitized before use it will be fine. I've been doing this for a long time without any issues. I rinse very well with water though. YMMV.

Awesome thanks. My back gets to killing me from leaning over the sink to wash the bottles. That'll save a lot of time.

I rinse with hot water immediately after pouring. When getting ready to bottle, I run each bottle over a bottle jet, then hit them with StarSan using a sulfiter and hang on a bottle tree. No problems thus far.

My only warning would be to look though the bottle at a light for stuck sediment. Occasionally I see a film on the bottom. I clean by rinsing right away, then drop into a bucket of soapy water to soak overnight.

If you get film, yeast or even mold you can soak with hot uncented Oxyclean over night, rinse and clean with a bottle brush. If it still looks funky after that it gets recycled before going to the Starsan rinse.

Back