Not your normal BIAB control box

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bonsai4tim

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've been using a PID controlled boil kettle for BIAB brewing for a couple of years now, wanted to upgrade my control box. The Keggle is the same one I've been using for about 2 years now. The control box was previously a single PID in a huge Cutler Hammer electrical box, and looked odd to say the least.

So I built this in December, have used it 8-10 times since then.

BrewRig1_zps8d891255.jpg

brewrig5_zps6318b84c.jpg

its red oak chest with simple mitered corners, with glue blocks for re-enforcement. Top panel is corian from an old counter top, the brass banding I cut from a piece of scrap sheet brass from the local metal recycle business (they sell all kinds of interesting stuff)

2 PID, 2 40 amp SSR inside. One to control the RIMS tube, and one to control the boil kettle.

The copper tube on top is the rims tube. Its a 1 1/2 inch copper pipe. The "posts" holding up the RIMS tube are the inlet and outlet. Wires to element are on the left, RTD sensor on the right. I don't really need the RIMS tube for brewing, but will need it for controlled temp water bath for chocolate making, so it will get used.

The pump is built into the box.

This shows the electrical hook up:

brewrig4_zps072a34c4.jpg

It can run (RIMS only) on 110v, or change the selector for 240v for both RIMS and the boil pot.

This is the backside:
Labelsoncontrolbox_zps130c211a.jpg

The pump intake is the hose connection with no label in the middle. You can see the plate heat exchanger on the far side.

The hose is not standard. It is 1/2 silicone "vacuum hose", the wall diameter is 1/4 inch, the inner diameter is a little less than 3/8 in. Makes a very tight connection over 1/2 inch barb connections.

No I don't worry about leaks, anymore than I worry about leaks in the pipes in my house when I do my own work. Just like any plumbing, it takes slow patient work getting all the pipe connections lined up , tight and leak free. It took several pressure tests with water to make sure everything was tight. U

For those who like to see element enclosures:
brewrig2_zpsac4aeb50.jpg

There is a stainless 1 inch lock nut silver soldered to the boil pot. The copper box was folded into shape and silver soldered. I scribed the curve from the boil pot onto the copper box, bent down tabs along that line, and soldered it on with soft plumbing solder (much lower heat than silver solder, so I didn't have to worry about the nut on the keggle)

tim

Very cool. Looks like something they would have used in medieval times... if they had electricity. Oh wait, they had wizards for that sort of thing. ;)

The hoist doesn't pivot (well the top could, but the rope and crank would not). Its just a cheap hand crank hoist from harbor freight, the pulleys are from Home Despot--I don't remember if they are clothesline pulleys or sliding door pulleys. Not sure I like how it looks, but its better than trying to lift a full grain bag at the end of a mash.

Epic.

Ever think about "wrapping" your keggle with matching red oak slabs and binding it with copper?

+50 internets for the day.

Epic.

Ever think about "wrapping" your keggle with matching red oak slabs and binding it with copper?

+50 internets for the day.

I've seen a couple examples of this, haven't figured out how to make it look the way I want.

If I was going to make a boil kettle, it would be riveted and soldered copper. Can't really justify the expense, and I live In NC, too close to moonshine country.

Back