Hop Recommendation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AknotOtoads

Reaction score
Hello all!
I'm going to brew up a batch today and am looking for some help in choosing some hops and addition times for what I have on hand.
I have plenty of wheat DME I am figuring I will use about 6lbs.
The yeast I have is my first attempt at harvesting and washing; it is Wyeast 1272 American Ale 2.
The hops I have on hand are:
1oz Cascade
2oz German Hersbrucker
1oz German Hallertau
1.5oz German Tettnang
1.5oz Czech Saaz

I'm not looking for a bitter beer I want it to finish clean and mild.

Thanks and cheers! :mug:

You could try using the 1.5oz of Tettnang for 60 min. And 1 oz hersbrucker at flameout. It won't be bitter at all, but should make for a nice light wheat.

You could try using the 1.5oz of Tettnang for 60 min. And 1 oz hersbrucker at flameout. It won't be bitter at all, but should make for a nice light wheat.

That would be good. It would be a "German" tasting American wheat.

If you want a bit of spicy hops flavor, the saaz would work at 10 minutes instead of the hersbrucker. It would still be German tasting.

For an American wheat, I'd use cascades at 15 minutes and 5 minutes (.5 oz here).

Thanks StompingClover and Yooper!!
Now do I want a "German" tasting American wheat or an American wheat...:)
If I used the cascades at 15/5 would I still use the Tettnang for 60?
Thanks again!

Thanks StompingClover and Yooper!!
Now do I want a "German" tasting American wheat or an American wheat...:)
If I used the cascades at 15/5 would I still use the Tettnang for 60?
Thanks again!

Yes, unless you have other hops for bittering. I like magnum (which is German) for bittering, even for American IPAs, since it's "clean" and neutral. Tettnang would be the same way, but with lower AAUs.

I think your gunna be real happy with American ale II in your wheat beer. I just did an awesome Hopfenweiss (basically an extra hoppy wheat) with the same yeast, and 2 additions of Liberty, which is very similar to hallertau. Now, I've spent a lot of time in Germany so I'm quite biased in my preferences, but I would suggest using hallertau for aroma. I think a gentler bitterness is a great idea since the American ale II has a subtle funk reminscent of a Saison or a Wit when used with an all wheat wort.

I think your gunna be real happy with American ale II in your wheat beer. I just did an awesome Hopfenweiss (basically an extra hoppy wheat) with the same yeast, and 2 additions of Liberty, which is very similar to hallertau. Now, I've spent a lot of time in Germany so I'm quite biased in my preferences, but I would suggest using hallertau for aroma. I think a gentler bitterness is a great idea since the American ale II has a subtle funk reminscent of a Saison or a Wit when used with an all wheat wort.
That sounds really good!
I went ahead and did the 1.5oz tettnang at 60 and cascade at 15/5 .5oz ea.
As soon as I have an empty carboy I think I will do 1oz Hersbrucker @60 and Hellertau @ 15min.
Thanks to all!!! Cheers!:mug:

Ah, thats perfect, You'll have a german and american version!

If you want, you can even do a mini-mash with some white wheat and a sprinkle of American two-row or German pilsner (in the vein of a German and American version.) just let them steep for 45 min or so at about 155-160 F in a muslin or nylon grain bag. The crushed wheat will lend a lot of proteins to the beer, which will give it that creamy body and head we associate with a good weissbier (though your using American yeast with Belgiany esters). Plus, if you mainly do all-extract, this will give you some good insight into how mashing grain works.

That said, Palmer has a lawnmower beer that he claims he's tried steeping and mashing everything under the sun, but only 100% wheat DME gives him the flavor he wants.

At the very least, youll have fun :) Do a little experiment and report back with tasting notes! Godspeed good sir

Ah, thats perfect, You'll have a german and american version!

If you want, you can even do a mini-mash with some white wheat and a sprinkle of American two-row or German pilsner (in the vein of a German and American version.) just let them steep for 45 min or so at about 155-160 F in a muslin or nylon grain bag. The crushed wheat will lend a lot of proteins to the beer, which will give it that creamy body and head we associate with a good weissbier (though your using American yeast with Belgiany esters). Plus, if you mainly do all-extract, this will give you some good insight into how mashing grain works.

That said, Palmer has a lawnmower beer that he claims he's tried steeping and mashing everything under the sun, but only 100% wheat DME gives him the flavor he wants.

At the very least, youll have fun :) Do a little experiment and report back with tasting notes! Godspeed good sir
I actually have an "experiment" in secondary right now. The way you describe the crushed wheat and 2-row sounds even better than what I did!
What I have in secondary is:
Steep crystal 60L at 160 for 45min
6lbs Wheat DME
.5oz German Tettnang and .5oz Saaz @60 min
1oz Cascade @ 15min
Wyeast 1272 (thats where I harvested this latest batch from)
It should be ready to keg in about another week. Hopefully it will be good!
I thought about adding some lactose to it but got a little skeert! LOL!

I'll definitely report back on taste.

I actually have an "experiment" in secondary right now. The way you describe the crushed wheat and 2-row sounds even better than what I did!
What I have in secondary is:
Steep crystal 60L at 160 for 45min
6lbs Wheat DME
.5oz German Tettnang and .5oz Saaz @60 min
1oz Cascade @ 15min
Wyeast 1272 (thats where I harvested this latest batch from)
It should be ready to keg in about another week. Hopefully it will be good!
I thought about adding some lactose to it but got a little skeert! LOL!

I'll definitely report back on taste.

Well the experiment was a success! Had a bunch of friends over on Saturday and needless to say I have an empty keg I need to fill now! LOL!

As for the hop recommendations I did go with the 1.5oz Tettnanger @60 and Cascade @ 15/5 .5oz each.
This turned out very nice! Nice and light, not too filling at all. I really like the hop character in this! When you get a nice drink the hop taste fills your mouth (not bitter) as you swallow it dissipates smoothly and makes you want another drink right away! This one can be dangerous! :drunk: HAhaha!
The final ABV turned out to be 5.58.
I will definitely brew this one again!

Thanks to all for your help and recommendations!!!

Back