Burnt Foot Blonde

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UNIbrewster

Reaction score
Second AG batch today. Amazing weather and brew day went well.......until the Chiller. About 2 min into chilling the tubing popped off the worth chiller. As I ran over to reattach it my foot went right into the output stream of the chiller. It was hot, very hot. I lucky grabbed the hose (which was still running) and flushed it with cold water for a soild 5 min. My foot feels ok after a couple of homebrews but if i wasn't wearing shoes it would have been a very nasty burn. :mug:

I have a burnt foot ESB. You are lucky it was the chiller water. Mine was the wort on its way to my newly built hop back hose clamp wasn't tight and got boiling got wort in my shoe.

image-759533502.jpg

I brew in crocs, and I too have had the chiller water get my ankles as well. No blisters, but a lot of swearing. Honestly I think my greatest fear is my turkey fryer giving way and my keggle heading right for me. New project for the winter, weld up a keggle stand that can get it done.

RoundKid said:
I have a burnt foot ESB. You are lucky it was the chiller water. Mine was the wort on its way to my newly built hop back hose clamp wasn't tight and got boiling got wort in my shoe.

Wowza I guess I got lucky. Geez.

Word of warning. Boiling wort is f-ing hot. I made the mistake on my last brewday of grabbing the copper tubing of my IC when it was sitting in the wort for the last 15 of the boil to show my roomate what it actually was and explain the process. That was dumb. At least it was only small first degree burns. Worst thing is, I will probably do it again sometime.

I did the same thing last year and called the beer also burned foot. It was a columbus ipa. I did finish the beer before going to the hospital. It was delicious.

I was topping off the kettle with some the extra wort i was heating on my stove, once the boil over was finished. It was hurting like a &*%££%^.

That picture was 4 days after the incident.

Screen Shot 2013-05-21 at 15.50.49.jpg

Latest posts

Back