Why is it...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChshreCat

Reaction score
...most good craft beer companies have horrible, boring commercials and crap beer has the best commercials ever? It can't just be marketing budget because I've seen plenty of small companies put out hilarious ads. It seems like all the craft breweries can do in a commercial is say "We've been brewing beer for a decade now and look at our mountains of hops and something about craftmanship..."

I think craft beer marketers try to keep the mentality of let the beer speak for itself. Obviously crappy yellow fizzy beer needs all the smoke and mirrors it can get.

I see craft beers being marketed just as much as big commercial beers. Sure, they aren't taking out Super Bowl ads, but they are advertising and marketing just as much. Some craft breweries are putting money into catchy art on the beer labels, six pack cartons, and even the bottles themselves. Others are sponsoring biking and racing events. They're out there giving out free t-shirts, introducing new gimmicky beers, and doing what they can to get their piece of the pie. Maybe I just don't watch enough TV to see the commercials, but I come across just as much interesting craft beer advertising as I do for the bigger companies.

Yellow fizzy beer makers can afford to spend more in advertising as they're saving on their grain bills and already have enough followers that even without advertising they're still doing ok on the bottom line.

2 things to remember: Lowest common denominator, meaning more people drink crap beer. Quantity, not quality means much more $ for advertising. Craft beer brewers can't afford to spend $1m on production and another $3M on airtime.

The big BMC manufacturers have been doing their thing 60 yrs, they've got marketing covered, not just Tshirts & hats either. I once knew a guy who had his van painted with the Bud horses & logo on both sides & on both doors in back. Inside it was a van conversion with the captain's chairs & custom windows & custom interior. It was ALL Bud themed, even the upholstery. There were even little Bud tap handles for door locks. Everywhere this guy went, Bud got free advertising.

BMC has permeated our culture & has some diehard fans/supporters that simply love that crap. BMC gets contracts to supply all the beer at events like concerts & such & they always get exclusive access, every other beer brand is excluded. Craft brewers simply cannot compete on that scale.
Regards, GF.

Craft beer seems to go more for the "This beer is quality, because..." train of advertising where the macrobrews tend to go for the gimmick. The only other differences I can see would be that the macrobrews have full time marketing departments where with craft breweries it isnt feasible to pay for full time marketing departments. I personally would rather have a beer from a company who concentrates on process and ingredients rather than adverts.

Thing is that that just isnt how marketing works. Craft beer enthusiasts are going to try your beer anyway, so that market will see that your beer is quality and buy more. No need for a commercial for that market.

Joe Consumer will need a reason to try your beer in the first place. The fact that its good beer wont be enough, because he already has a beer that he likes. He will need a catchy jingle or the Swedish bikini team or a funny skit or the World's Most Interesting Man to plant the idea of trying one in his mind.

My thesis? A boring commercial that concentrates on the quality of the product is a waste of time and money. I dont like it, but thems the facts.

A boring commercial that concentrates on the quality of the product is a waste of time and money.
(Majestic sounding music playing in background... Frogs croaking in the distance... "Bud... Err... Why?"
Here's to you, opinionated keyboard jockey, for keeping the truth at the helm and filtering all the BS for the rest of us. Maybe we could figure it out, but probably not, and you saved us the mental anguish of figuring out for ourselves that we just don't have what it takes to uncover the subliminal messages behind today's advertisements. Thanks, opinionated keyboard jockey. This Bud's for you.

Creamy don't hate me... just for fun

Thing is that that just isnt how marketing works. Craft beer enthusiasts are going to try your beer anyway, so that market will see that your beer is quality and buy more. No need for a commercial for that market.

Joe Consumer will need a reason to try your beer in the first place. The fact that its good beer wont be enough, because he already has a beer that he likes. He will need a catchy jingle or the Swedish bikini team or a funny skit or the World's Most Interesting Man to plant the idea of trying one in his mind.

My thesis? A boring commercial that concentrates on the quality of the product is a waste of time and money. I dont like it, but thems the facts.

I think Yuengling does a solid job of that at times. Their light does well in that idea with their distinguishing their light lager from the other guys by making it seem more many and so on

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkSJPXQpPDs

But on the topic of marketing. The guys from Brooklyn discussed it themselves, they said they had a hard time with commercials casue they didn't want to alienate the core that got them big.

I enjoy the tongue in cheek not quite too funny parodies of other beer commercials (including Sam) that Breckenridge has on their site.

Back