Banana Saison

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

azmarq

Reaction score
So I am looking to do modify my saison recipe to give it a banana taste to it. I am debating between 1) mixing a saison and a wheat strain and holding it near 80 2)adding bananas to the mash or fermenter 3) using a different strain which will get be the saison taste with more banana. Any thoughts?

My gf wants a banana saison. So I'm planning on using almost brown bananas in my steeping bag and probably in secondary also. But I was also thinking of the same by using a Belgian saison yeast and using wlp300 together to give off some banana phenolics. Just worried that one might over power over the other and the hefewiezen yeast getting too hot and giving bubblegum... I know this is a old post but curious on how it turned out or if anyone has any insight.

Underpitch the wlp300 and stress the yeast out for that banana profile. warmer temps will also help, but not 80F, the brew will always be warmer so whatever is the ambient temp add 5 or so degrees for a rough estimate. I would use a banana puree in a secondary if banana on banana on banana is what you're looking for.

This probably not good advice but may be worth trying. A long time ago one of the first beers I ever made was an English pale ale. I had no clue whAt I was doing and fermented it way too warm. I think it was WLp 002. Anyway it tasted like bananas. So thinking g of saison ferment temps, you could probably just toss in a DuPont strain and an English strain and let it go at around 75+ and get your banana saison.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Back