Trying to increase the orange citrus taste in a kegged beer.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msa8967

mickaweapon
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I would like to increase the orange citrus flavor in a kegged wheat beer. I make this for our daycare provider and bring her a growler every Friday. For some reason the citrus taste in my current batch is just not there so I am thinking of boiling the orange skin (w/o the white pith) from several oranges for a few minutes and then placing these in a hop sack that will be suspended in the keg. Does this seem like a good idea?

Yes...I know that she can just add an orange slice to her glass but our daycare provider does an excellent job working with our autistic son that I really want to try fix this beer.

You can try making a coriander tea and adding it as coriander provides quite the citrus punch. Maybe 1/2oz of coriander.

Otherwise, add the wedge at pouring time:)

I had the exact same question so I saved the thread below for my upcoming experiment with orange zest.

In short, seems like these guys are using 1 to 2oz zest and ~0.5oz crushed coriander seeds. Some are adding near flame out and some in a secondary. I particularly like the idea (from another thread) of soaking the zest in grand marnier or cointreau first.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/how-use-orange-peel-59351/

Darn, why did I waste all of that orange stuff left over in the bottom of the last used keg I bought?;)

Back