Let me get this straight!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
You do not have to boil. If brewing extract? hopped extract?

I don't do extract brewing. I'm reading John Palmer's book. Just got it today. 1/2 off. Baby. Sorry. Should have stated that.

I watched the Craig-tube guy make a beer with hopped extract, a bucket, and a garden hose.

It depends on your definition of "have to".

Or; more to the point, your definition of "good beer"

Think your right on both of those Brewskii. I was just kind of. "Huh?" When I read that. Oh well.

No! Under NO circumstances should you boil pre-hopped extract,unless you wanna turn the flavor additions to bittering. not even 10-15 minutes. Not ever. Besides,pasteurization happens at 160-162F,NOT BOILING. I don't know how many times I've said it. Do not boil pre-hopped extract,do not use it in the boil. Use some plain DME in the boil,as it doesn't caramelize ant where near as fast as LME. I add pre-hopped extract at flame out to preserve it's flavor/aroma hop profile. Then steep for a couple minutes to pasteurize,as it's still boiling hot when the flame out additions are added.
Pasteurization happening at the LOWER TEMP of 162F will do the job in seconds.

unionrdr said:
No! Under NO circumstances should you boil pre-hopped extract,unless you wanna turn the flavor additions to bittering. not even 10-15 minutes. Not ever. Besides,pasteurization happens at 160-162F,NOT BOILING. I don't know how many times I've said it. Do not boil pre-hopped extract,do not use it in the boil. Use some plain DME in the boil,as it doesn't caramelize ant where near as fast as LME. I add pre-hopped extract at flame out to preserve it's flavor/aroma hop profile. Then steep for a couple minutes to pasteurize,as it's still boiling hot when the flame out additions are added.
Pasteurization happening at the LOWER TEMP of 162F will do the job in seconds.

Good point. I agree, extract, hopped or otherwise need not be boiled. A good reason to boil extract is hops in order to isomerize hops fully a certain amount of extract is desirable because the utilization will not be as high as with just water.

That said, pre hopped extract would take all the fun out of it for me. Definitely not my cup of tea (boiled or steeped) but to each his own.

Latest posts

Back