Dirty things

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cposten

Reaction score
I have a bucket and a couple airlocks that I am 90% sure are infected. So A: if I were to make a sanstar solution in the bucket would it transfer infection to anything I cleaned with it? And B: is there anyway to get these airlocks back in working condition, is it worth the time?

Cposten said:
I have a bucket and a couple airlocks that I am 90% sure are infected. So A: if I were to make a sanstar solution in the bucket would it transfer infection to anything I cleaned with it? And B: is there anyway to get these airlocks back in working condition, is it worth the time?

My suggestion is to clean everything thoroughly in hot PBW, then use a sanitizer like StarSan before you use it again.

StarSan is an acid based sanitizer that should kill any nasties. Make sure everything that touches your wort post-boil is sanitized well and you shouldn't have any problems.

If I may ask, what prompted this post?

tyzippers said:
My suggestion is to clean everything thoroughly in hot PBW, then use a sanitizer like StarSan before you use it again.

StarSan is an acid based sanitizer that should kill any nasties. Make sure everything that touches your wort post-boil is sanitized well and you shouldn't have any problems.

If I may ask, what prompted this post?

Thanks. Had an infection and have pin pointed the culprit but a little too late for my new ferm bucket and new airlocks. Was just wondering if they still be of brewing use or if their destiny is to be manure bucket and/or trash bound.

Unless they are HEAVILY soiled, I'd bet they'll clean right up and then a stiff, long soak in StarSan will take care of it.

If I had something suspect I'd bleach-bomb it first. I'm a huge Star San fan, keep a 5 gallon carboy filled with distilled water/SS mix at all times, but bleach is the ultimate broad spectrum household bug killer...

Cheers!

Back