Convocation Bottling Schedule Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jwalk4

Reaction score
So I have my convocation on the 18th and my family will be coming down the weekend before to celebrate. I have brewed a beer for the occasion and would like it to have some 'wow' factor. I brewed on May 4th, and planning a 3 week primary, I was going to bottle on the 25th to allow for 2.5-2.75 weeks to carb, chill for 24-48h and serve on June 15th. However, I would think that this would make for some very hazy beer.

So my question is this: would there be any drawbacks to only doing a 2 week primary, which would allow for 3 full weeks to carb and an additional few days in the fridge to help reduce the chill haze? Or, should I just follow my first bottling schedule, and serve it in Red Solo Cups in true university fashion?

Note: Foreseeing this issue, it was also my first experience with using whirlfloc, so I am not sure how greatly it will affect the clarity of my beer.

A two week primary should probably be just fine. Just make sure you're at final gravity before bottling - don't rush it if it's not ready. There is nothing magical about a 3 week primary - in fact I often think we homebrewers can be overly patient sometimes. Many beers can be ready to bottle after 7-10 days...assuming fermentation was clean and healthy.

Back