priming sugar to card a keg...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theciderkid

Reaction score
i have a five gallon batch, and a five gallon keg, and no co2 system to speak of. my question is what would be the harm in treating this as a big bottle and using priming sugar? also if i can do this should i use extra sugar since it will be used as a carbing method and a propellent

You said "propellant". I've never heard of that. Pretty sure you still need co2. Carbing with sugar will make it so you use less co2 as you're not carbing the beer.

You can use refermentation to carbonate a keg like a big bottle but no, you won't be able to actually dispense the beer without adding new gas into the system. You can serve it via gravity by flipping the keg over and connecting the party faucet to a gas QD and then putting a blank liquid QD on the liquid side but you'll be oxidizing the beer by doing that. You better hope the party likes the beer and drinks it in a few hours.

So best bet is to just get a tank and regulator.? I was trying to avoid that for a little while, don't usually make 5 gallon batches

Latest posts

Back