Question about airlocks and stoppers?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shedbrewery

Reaction score
Okay, I have started home brewing around 2 weeks ago, so I don't know a whole lot about it.
So do you need a stopper for an airlock for it to work?
I ask this, because I've seen airlocks being used with stoppers before.
Here's the thing, when I ordered my airlock online, I did not get a stopper. I don't know anywhere around here where I could get one.
So here's what I did, I'm fermenting in a bottle, the whole is the right size approproate for a stopper, it's about a little over an inch.
I put my airlock in without a stopper, and the pointed in went all the way in until it came to the chamber or body (cylinder) section of the airlock. It the. went in pretty tight around the body. I was not sure about if it was air-tight enough, so I duct-taped around the mouth if the bottle to seal it better.
I do not want to have to do this next time I brew, so is there anywhere other than online that I could get a proper stopper from? Any stores?

Thanks.

If you don't have an LHBS (local homebrew store) just tack one on to your next grain order when ordering online. Anywhere that sells grain, hops and yeast should sell stoppers too.

reverendj1 said:
If you don't have an LHBS (local homebrew store) just tack one on to your next grain order when ordering online. Anywhere that sells grain, hops and yeast should sell stoppers too.

Well, it's a 64 oz, 2 qt bottle. So the mouth of the bottle is just barley bigger the the circumference if the body if the airlock. It's a standard airlock, glass, 3-piece, cylinder-shaped. It fits pretty tightly, though I wasn't sure if it was tight enough. That's why I tapped it.

I just checked on my brew, and there are a ton of small bubble rushing from the bottom to the surface, and the water in the airlock bubble every several seconds. It also sizzles when I put my ear to the bottle.
It appears to be working.

Sounds like it's working fine. I think the down-side to using tape is that if it foams up and makes contact with the sticky side of the tape then you risk getting the tape-glue in your beer. It's probably not nearly enough to be a concern and is more of a psychological problem in that regard. Another problem could be that if your airlock is taped down hard then if it should gum up at all then you've created the possibility for some serious shrapnel as the bottle could explode before the tape/airlock gives way.

Take this all with a grain of salt though, as I've only done 4 batches and am thus a newb myself.

Get a real stopper but in the meantime you seem to be alright. For now. Your beer will be fine but this isn't a good long term solution.

You could also rig a blow off tube to avoid a plugged airlock. If you have a farm supply store nearby, or good hardware store, they will have food grade/acid resistant hose of various diameters available. This site will have a lot of information on how a blow off tube works.

flars said:
You could also rig a blow off tube to avoid a plugged airlock. If you have a farm supply store nearby, or good hardware store, they will have food grade/acid resistant hose of various diameters available. This site will have a lot of information on how a blow off tube works.

I've heard a bit about blow-off tubes and watched youtube videos of fermenting eith them. Tey seem to be the best airlock method.

Well, it's a 64 oz, 2 qt bottle. So the mouth of the bottle is just barley bigger the the circumference if the body if the airlock. It's a standard airlock, glass, 3-piece, cylinder-shaped. It fits pretty tightly, though I wasn't sure if it was tight enough. That's why I tapped it.

I just checked on my brew, and there are a ton of small bubble rushing from the bottom to the surface, and the water in the airlock bubble every several seconds. It also sizzles when I put my ear to the bottle.
It appears to be working.

I was just saying for next time. I would have done the same thing you did in your situation, and you will most likely be fine this time.

In theory, you don't even need an airlock. Some people just use sanitized aluminum foil over the top. Personally, I have never tried it, but as long as nothing gets in and CO2 is escaping it should be fine. It is mesmerizing to watch the dancing airlock though. ;) I'd just add a universal bung to your next online order. I use universal bungs because one size fits my 1, 3, 5 and 6.5 gallon carboys.

reverendj1 said:
I was just saying for next time. I would have done the same thing you did in your situation, and you will most likely be fine this time.

Pickled_Pepper said:
In theory, you don't even need an airlock. Some people just use sanitized aluminum foil over the top. Personally, I have never tried it, but as long as nothing gets in and CO2 is escaping it should be fine. It is mesmerizing to watch the dancing airlock though. ;) I'd just add a universal bung to your next online order. I use universal bungs because one size fits my 1, 3, 5 and 6.5 gallon carboys.

I'm planning on ordering a stopper soon

Latest posts

Back