STC-1000 tool box build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

summerofgeorge

Reaction score
I finally got around to putting together my stc-1000 controller. I searched and didn't see many tool box builds so I wanted to share mine. It was a pretty inexpensive build. Here's a parts list:

1 x STC-1000 = $15
1 x tool box = $6
3 x receptacles @ $0.39 ea. = $1.17 (bought a 10 pack so per receptacle was cheaper)
1 x switch = $0.69
1 x grommet = $0.50
1 x 14g ext cord = $10 (had this laying around)
wire nuts/small nuts and bolts = few bucks (had this laying around)
Total ~ $35

1 front.jpg

2 side.jpg

3 back.jpg

4 guts.jpg

I like the tool box because it's cheap, should be durable, has a handle for transporting, and there's plenty of room for the wiring. Here are some details on the functionality:

The switch is for the main power. It turns on the controller and the outlet on the left (from the back view).
The middle outlet is for heating and the right outlet for cooling.

Still to do:
Add labels for the outlets/switch and operating instructions for the controller.
Add C to F conversion charts (probably one in the range for fermentation and one for sous vide).
Decide where to have the temperature probe coming out of the box (it's currently stored inside the tray and I have to crack the lid open to use it).

Nice job. Using the tool box does give you lots of room inside for wiring. How much room does the tool box take up? What will you use the stc-1000 to control?

The box is 13x5.625x6. A little wide but still pretty compact. I was going to go with the 4-gang box that a lot of guys use. The tool box just seemed to be a better option and wasn't that much more expensive.

I'm planning on using it for fermentation control. I'm sick of dealing with a swamp cooler. I'm also going to use it for sous vide cooking.

Back