Uh oh, need a quick answer!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LarryC

Reaction score
So I am brewing a batch of Pliny from a MoreBeer kit that my brother in-law sent me. I guess I misread the recipe and dumped the 1lb of corn sugar in at the start of the boil (recipe says last 10 minutes).

Should I add more sugar at the 10 minute mark or just forget about it? I'm at 30 minutes now...

You are fine. The idea for the corn sugar here is to add alcohol and lighten the body.

Whether you add it at 60 or 10 it still does the same thing. 10 just reduces the chance of caramelization.

Don't add more.

I kind of thought that was how it would be but I figured I'd ask the experts:D

I got two sets of instructions with the kit - the generic one said throw it all in and boil, the Pliny one said save the sugar until the last 10 minutes. Looks like a short brew day compared to my all grain days. What will I do with all that extra time?!?!?!

Thanks all :mug:

Adding it at the beginning caramelizes the sugar to some degree. Nothing significant.

To get really geeky, cooking sugars at brewing temperatures (even boiling) causes Maillard reactions / browning with amino acids.

Carmelization requires much hotter temperatures to occur (typicaly over 300 degrees).

Either way, the effect on the beer will be negligible.

I kind of thought that was how it would be but I figured I'd ask the experts:D

I got two sets of instructions with the kit - the generic one said throw it all in and boil, the Pliny one said save the sugar until the last 10 minutes. Looks like a short brew day compared to my all grain days. What will I do with all that extra time?!?!?!

Thanks all :mug:

Dang, I never got the extra time for brewing when I went BIAB. Typical brew days take me about 3 1/2 to maybe 4 hours, not much different from when I did extract with steeping grains.

I guess you'll just have to spend that extra time doing cleanup and drinking beer.:rockin:

Back