American Amber Ale Caramel Amber Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just made this on Saturday and hit 1.068 OG. Also used WLP0041 Pacific Ale yeast since it was past expiration and needed to be used. Made a 1L starter of it and it is fermenting crazily. It smells wonderful and I can't wait to get this one kegged! Thanks OP!

Mashing as I type. I love Ambers, hopefully mine turns out as well as others. This thread has some of my favorite beer pr0n.:D

edit: wow, my homemade candi sugar was a fail. I did half/half with cane sugar and brown sugar instead. I hit the OG dead one, hopefully the taste is in the neighborhood.

KingBrianI said:
Nice, be sure to report back. I let it go a month in primary then racked to secondary with some gelatin and left it there for a week before kegging.

Im kind of new at this and going to try this beer as my third ever batch. When u say " racked to secondary with some gelatin" what do u mean and what is gelatin used for and why? Thanks for recipe going to brew it tommorrow.

Gelatin helps clear up home brew. It is often racked to secondary on top of gelatin. Use one half the packet warmed then cooled down with a little water. Also when doing this process in the secondary give it at least a week before bottling/kegging.

i 've been dying to create a chestnut beer, based on a beer i had in france, (beer bourganel, bierre aux marrons). i believe it was an amber brewed with chestnuts and vanilla. how would the addition of chestnut be to this brew? i have puree, regular chestnuts i can roast and an extract.

This beer turned out excellent. I got a 1.070 OG and used white labs 001(brew shop was out of safale 05). Great head retention/lacing as well! I would like a little more malt/body, but this is an excellent beer. I will definitely brew it again soon!

Prost!

I am looking to brew this tomorrow 3-18-13. And have a campout and I want to take it to on 4-19-20-13. Will I have enough time to make this and keg and get it carbed up and it taste ok? Also I searched all over town looking for DAP all LHBS are out or don't carry it. Is the hard amber candy at brewmasters warehouse the same thing pretty much? If so I will grab a bag of it. Or see if they have the D-45. I need to get this in my primary ASAP! If it matters I will be going from primary to keg then force carbing. No secondary this time. Please and thank you. MB

Ahh. Also is 65 degrees crucial? I can keep 68-70 no prob but I have a hard time going lower. If it had to be lower I guess I could buy a fan and make a swamp cooler and see if that will do it if I had to.

For DAP look for Yeast Energizer, as for the candi syrup, I used D-90 and it came out good. It's been in the bottle now for about two weeks and the aroma is spot on but the taste is a little green, I think some time will help settle it. Not sure how force carbing will go since I haven't tried it yet, but this is my experience. Hope it helps.

mufflerbearing said:
I am looking to brew this tomorrow 3-18-13. And have a campout and I want to take it to on 4-19-20-13. Will I have enough time to make this and keg and get it carbed up and it taste ok? Also I searched all over town looking for DAP all LHBS are out or don't carry it. Is the hard amber candy at brewmasters warehouse the same thing pretty much? If so I will grab a bag of it. Or see if they have the D-45. I need to get this in my primary ASAP! If it matters I will be going from primary to keg then force carbing. No secondary this time. Please and thank you. MB

Ahh. Also is 65 degrees crucial? I can keep 68-70 no prob but I have a hard time going lower. If it had to be lower I guess I could buy a fan and make a swamp cooler and see if that will do it if I had to.

I've fermented this around 68 before with no problems. I think you'll be fine

Ok. Getting ready to brew now. I have
5.4 of briess golden light extract (liquid)
1.8 of 2 row caramel 80
2 oz of chinook
1 oz of willamette
1lb d45
Safale us-05
I also have 1lb of briess golden light extract (dry)
I will steep the c80 @ 154 for about 45-60 then move to the boil.
Add .78 of the chinook @ 60
@ 15 add d45
Then 1oz of chinook and willamette at flameout.

Wtf do I do with the dry golden malt extract?? I am very excited about this and don't want to eff anything up. Please advise. Also is a 2.5 gallon boil ok then top to 5.25?

The more you can boil, the better. But 2.5 gallon should be ok. The dry extract can go in with the other extract, or you can do a late extract addition and add it with like 10 minutes left in the boil along with any of the liquid extract you held back. Good luck!

Got a chance to brew it this morning. All went well! OG of 1.048 (5.7 G) so pretty well bang on. Got about 78% eff. says beersmith, so the mill worked. Thanks for the recipe KingBrian, CHeers

I chose this as my first AG and copied KB’s recipe exactly except for a 90 boil (to reduce the boil volume).

I made two attempts at the candy sugar. The first one was too dark so I stopped cooking the second earlier and it turned out perfect (photo below).

Mashed at 153 degrees for 75 minutes. Fly sparged. OG was 10.48 and FG 10.10 with 30 days in primary.

It pours with a deep red color and tall white head. Crystal clear. It’s a nicely balanced beer that is easy to drink with an excellent hop presence. My BMC friends love it (so do I).

Thanks King Brian!
Greg

glass2.jpg

candi22.jpg

Greg, it looks great! A recipe can only take a beer so far, it takes a brewer's skill to create a great beer. So I can only take partial credit, the majority goes to you! :mug:

It’s the result of me being a beer nerd.

I read through just about every thread in the AG forum of Home Brew Talk. I pulled out the best practices that I liked. Things like: not always using a secondary, long boils to reduce the volume, having extra DME on hand and temp controlled fermenting seemed solid advice (to name a few). It’s also how I found King Brian the I’s recipe.

For this amber it worked perfectly. No threat of contamination and, after a quick check of the FG, I knew this one was done. No questions.

I couldn’t be happier with this recipe. It really is a fantastic brew!

There’s a must read HBT super thread on the no secondary topic at:
http://tinyurl.com/nosecondary

Hope this helps,
Greg

(credit aldousbee for the original label design)

kbca.jpg

GreginMD. That beer looks delicious. I've got mine in primary For 2 weeks. Now on vacation for 3 weeks. Long primary but ain't worried. This'll be my first beer on keg system. Woohoo

made this today. I forgot to use Irish Moss in the boil for the 3rd consecutive brew :(

Hey Brian did/do you rehydrate the US-05? I brewed this a couple of months ago, turned out awesome! Going to brew another batch on Wednesday. Thanks for a truly great recipe.

Terry

Hey Brian did/do you rehydrate the US-05? I brewed this a couple of months ago, turned out awesome! Going to brew another batch on Wednesday. Thanks for a truly great recipe.

Terry

Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't.. Doesn't seem to make much difference but it's probably better to do it. Glad you like it!

KingBrianI said:
Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't.. Doesn't seem to make much difference but it's probably better to do it. Glad you like it!

Thanks. I didn't rehydrate last time and it came out great. Maybe I'll just be lazy and pitch dry again this time.

My batch turned out great. I failed at making my own candi sugar, and I was already boiling so I subbed in 1/2lb of corn sugar and a 1/2lb of light brown sugar. Its very clear and pretty well balanced. This is one the better brews I have made and it will definitely become part of the standard rotation. Thanks for the great recipe OP!

PCHxLLUf9Qab21VvEEy8_42ZBcLKrvtBIbGpc7EEaSk

I have had this in primary at 20deg C for 2 weeks and while the airlock activity dropped off early (not always an issue) I have a gravity reading of 1.020 (OG: 1.052). Do I have reason to believe the yeast is not active and should I pitch another packet of US-05? I've never had this happen before. I have taste-tested and there is a lot of hop aroma and bitterness, almost like wort post-boil. Is pitching another yeast pack going to cause any harm?

I have had this in primary at 20deg C for 2 weeks and while the airlock activity dropped off early (not always an issue) I have a gravity reading of 1.020 (OG: 1.052). Do I have reason to believe the yeast is not active and should I pitch another packet of US-05? I've never had this happen before. I have taste-tested and there is a lot of hop aroma and bitterness, almost like wort post-boil. Is pitching another yeast pack going to cause any harm?

Pitching more probably won't cause and harm. I also have in primary now, brewed 3 days ago and now its at 1.010 from 1.057. Though I did use london ale iii instead of us-05.

I just brewed this as BIAB. I was slightly low on my efficiency (73.3%) but not enough to matter. I can't wait to drink this; Ambers are my favourite style.

So i brewed this about 10 days ago, and there was continual airlock activity for about a week. it has since dropped off, and my hydro reading seems to be good. However i have this huge amount of sediment on the bottom, up to my tap, when i pulled my sample it was really cloudy and sedimenty (but it tasted great).. I don't have a secondary at the moment cause i just started brewing and was wondering if there were any alternative methods to bottling this without getting all that sediment in?

Here is what it looks like at the moment:

8iURcKn.jpg

hey dude. that looks completely normal. without a second carboy (for secondary or bottling) unfortunately you're going to take a lot of that sediment with you. It's not ideal however not a bad thing, just something to bear in mind when decanting before drinking

So i brewed this about 10 days ago, and there was continual airlock activity for about a week. it has since dropped off, and my hydro reading seems to be good. However i have this huge amount of sediment on the bottom, up to my tap, when i pulled my sample it was really cloudy and sedimenty (but it tasted great).. I don't have a secondary at the moment cause i just started brewing and was wondering if there were any alternative methods to bottling this without getting all that sediment in?

Here is what it looks like at the moment:

You could gently rouse the yeast and prop the fermenter at an angle so the yeast settles around the spout. Drain enough yeast so when you repeat with the fermenter flat the yeast won't reach the spout when you empty it. How do you mix priming sugar completely without stirring up the yeast BTW?

You know... what you could do is stir it up a bit, get the gunk off the bottom then place a small wedge like a half inch or inch thick piece of wood under the bottom front part by the spigot. When it re-settles the gunk should be lower than your spigot and you should get less trub in your bottles.

Just be careful if you have to move it at all. Or simply let it sit where you will bottle from.

Sweet as thanks for the tips, i figure i'll just go through it and it should really only affect the first couple of bottles anyway then it will drop back below my tap.

Yeah i am just using priming sugar straight into my bottles.

Back