summer shandy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EricMac08

Reaction score
by any chance does anyone have a recipe for summer shandy???? its one I souls really like to brew.

by any chance does anyone have a recipe for summer shandy???? its one I souls really like to brew.

Here's what I'm doing (right now, actually.... the boil is half way through):

6.6 # Wheat LME
1 # Pale
0.5 # Carapils
0.5# White Wheat
1 oz Tettnang hops (60 min)
Zest of 1 lemon (at flame-out)
Safale WB-06

I'm going to let that ferment for 2 weeks, maybe 3, then add 4 0.23 ounce packs of Lemonade Kool-aid with a quart of water when I'm ready to bottle (mix lemonade to bottling bucket with priming sugar.)

I'll let you know.

Well, it's fermenting well, if the airlock is any indicator. It has been in primary since Saturday around noon, so almost 96 hours.

Let you know in four weeks the final verdict. ;)

where did you get this recipe? logs like a solid one. ill probably hold out to see hope your batch turns out. please let me know I want to brew this pretty bad lol

where did you get this recipe? logs like a solid one. ill probably hold out to see hope your batch turns out. please let me know I want to brew this pretty bad lol

Well, I kinda made it up, taking the advice and input I found on various forums.

The wheat base is a plain, run of the mill wheat beer. Nothing terribly special.

I bottled it last Thursday, and a "sample" (by which I mean about a bottle or so, as I ran out of clean empties before I ran out of beer to bottle... ended up dumping about three bottles worth) tasted pretty decent. My wife (for whom I'm brewing this, as she enjoys Leine's Summer Shandy) agreed, and declared it a success. Time will out,of course, as it needs to carbonate and age a bit.

But initial testing tells me it will work as a shandy.

Well, I tasted a bottle of this yesterday evening.

First impression is that it isn't nearly as sweet as I was hoping for... There's a real lemon taste, but it's more tart than the sweetness I get from Leine's Summer Shandy.

It has been in bottles for just about 18 days, and perhaps I just opened it sooner than necessary (decent carbonation, however, so there's that.) I'm going to let it sit and bottle-condition for a bit, and hope it improves a little.

On a positive note, my wife likes it, and she's the reason I brewed it, so that's a relief.

I much prefer to make my shandies in the glass- artificial lemon flavor really puts me off. A half pint of my cream ale and some fresh squeezed lemonade can't be beat. Now that's a refreshing drink- none of this kool-aid business.

You can also take a look at this thread I started.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/summer-shandy-335148/

On every one of these shandy threads someone comes in and advocates mixing beer and lemonade in real time. Yes that works great. To me that's not the point. That's not the same thing people who want to brew "a shandy" or a "leinnie's shandy clone" are looking for.

Back