BIG beer, and the perrils faced by yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VonRunkel

Reaction score
My brew buddy and I made a huge beer (1.132) out of a couple kits from NB. We scaled down the hops a bit and added some malts.

We pitched the English yeast strain that came with the kit in a gallon starter. She fermented away for a week or three down to 1.065. The hydrometer sample was still rather sweet so I pitched some dry champagne yeast to finish her off. My concern is that there is not enough O2 in solution to ferment the rest of the way. I pitched a couple days ago and still haven't seen any indications of fermentation.

Should I get some more champagne yeast and build a small starter rich in oxygen?

Thanks

I ended up getting some more champagne yeast and making a medium starter. I pitched it this morning and I already have airlock activity.

How did you aerate? A 14% ABV beer needs pure oxygen injection. Otherwise, you're about as attenuated as you're gonna get. Champagne yeast is generally added in order to eat up the priming sugar during bottling.

I would venture a guess that the airlock activity you're seeing is a result of the yeast eating through the starter you pitched.

I am planning on bottling, but only after I am sure the gravity is as low as its going to go.

I aerated the starter by shaking tye bejeebies out of it, not exactly pure O2.

I was worried about the attenuation being maxed out... I will check it again in a couple weeks, after finals.

Thanks

Back