Got 13oz of Amarillo pellet hops, what to brew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jestmaty

Reaction score
I put 3 packs in the fridge, the other 10 in the freezer yesterday.

Anyone have an all grain recipe that calls for a lot of Amarillo hops?

Thanks in advance. jestmaty

Brew a SMaSH or a west coast style IPA. Use a simple grist making sure to keep your specialty grains to around 5%. Aim for 50% of you IBU's in the bitterness and hop it heavy with 0-10 minutes left in the boil. Make sure you dry hop and you'll end up with a great IPA.

Having personally done an all Amarillo IIPA, I would recommend you use a few other hops in there (citrusy/piney American hops). I love Amarillo, but the 100% Amarillo IIPA just seemed a little one dimensional. I think the best hoppy beers usually have a nice blend of a few hops.

I did the same thing with simcoe and found it to be a little bit if a let down. Wish it was more complex and will blend next time.

I think Founders' Red's RyePA is an all Amarillo concoction, which is a pretty popular beer in the Midwest.

Try it out in a stout where aroma additions are large.

I do an APA with all amarillo late hops, and sometimes dry hops as well. Judges think it's mediocre at best, but it's always the quickest keg to empty.

Thanks for these suggestions folks :)

I JUST bottled 5 gallons of Amarillo Pale Ale 4 days ago, as it's rapidly become one of my favorites over the last year.

The recipe is straight off of Midwest supplies' website and is really good imho. I wonder if I can double up on the hops to make it a dipa? Recipe calls for 1/2 oz of Chinook/Columbus for the 60 minutes. 1 oz of Amarillo with 20 min left, and finally 1 oz at flame out. 5 gallon batch...

I wonder if I could double those hop additions and call it a double IPA? :D Maybe dry hop it in the secondary with some more Amarillo hops?

Grain bill is 10lbs of domestic 2-row, 1/2 lb of carapils and 1/2 lb of cara 40*L.

I personally back down the cara malt to dry it out a little bit. But as is that recipe is well received by all types of beer drinkers.

I personally back down the cara malt to dry it out a little bit. But as is that recipe is well received by all types of beer drinkers.

me too. In my version I use 0.5lb carapils and 0.5lb of aromatic instead of the cara malt. Not sure where I got it, as there are many versions of this popular recipe out there. But try it out and see what you like.

me too. In my version I use 0.5lb carapils and 0.5lb of aromatic instead of the cara malt. Not sure where I got it, as there are many versions of this popular recipe out there. But try it out and see what you like.

Ive seen it floating around they use Aromatic malt, and next time I will be adding it to the mix. Apparently 3F use warrior for bittering and some simcoe as well. The simcoe is surprising to me, as I thought it was all Amarillo.

My current mutation of this beer is using "Conan" yeast...the heady topper strain, its currently dry hopping and the gravity samples were ridiculous.

Ive seen it floating around they use Aromatic malt, and next time I will be adding it to the mix. Apparently 3F use warrior for bittering and some simcoe as well. The simcoe is surprising to me, as I thought it was all Amarillo.

My current mutation of this beer is using "Conan" yeast...the heady topper strain, its currently dry hopping and the gravity samples were ridiculous.

mmmm.....Gumballhead Conan! that should be awesome! 3F's hops probably vary a bit each year, it may be getting too expensive to keep it all Amarillo. I think it would be fine with warrior for bittering, but simcoe IDK. May have to try it out and see.:mug:

Found the Amarillo for $2 per oz and I snatched up 13 of the 14 on the shelf.

The GumballHead in the linked recipe will let me get "rid of" about 5 oz of my Amarillo...I'm not big into storing hops

I think I'll take BigRedHopHead's suggestion and cut down the cara by half and add a 1/2lb of aromatic.

Maybe throw in some warrior at the beginning of the boil too!

Will be the 'hoppiest' beer by far I've ever brewed!

Edit: Grain bill!!!

IMG_1866_zpsc28df99e.jpg

Even though this will be the hoppiest beer you have brewed your IBU's are not high and mostly from late additions. This means your hop presence will be smooth, flavorful, with tons of aroma, and low bitterness.

Good Lord, this turned out good!

Huge winner as was pointed out earlier :) Was given LOTS of thumbs ups from my local homebrew club members!

Thanks to whoever made the suggestion to brew this, awesome :D

Awesome...always love a good follow up. Ive downed one batch since posting in this thread, and another batch is about to dry hop.

I was told by my oenephile dad(who isnt really a beer guy) that I should have it on one of my taps at all time, and that he would pay for it..lol.

Back