Have you ever had a beer that you COULD NOT force carb??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

radial67

Reaction score
I have an oaked double IPA that has been sitting in the keg on CO2 @3degC @16PSI for almost 3 weeks and there is barely a bubble in the beer. I have purpposefully force overcarbed the beer to 3vols with the intention of going into bottles (my standard procedure) to account for the loss due to headspace.

Have any of you guys ever experienced a recipe that you have not been able to carbonate properly?

It was brewed to 9%abv w specialb galaxy and amarillo and then had 200ml of an oak and vanilla bean tea added to it for oak flavour and then had 300ml of a single malt whiskey added to it.

Also, the CO2 has pretty much gone into solution cos I can taste carbonic acid in the beer and the keg hasnt lost pressure for the last 2 weeks (which would indicate CO2 still gg into solution)

A few additional problems encountered.... I have gelatanized the beer and it absolutely will not clear. Also, in desperation I have shaken the cr#p out of the keg this morning (which is gonna cause all sorts of issues with the gelatin later)

Ideas????

Are you sure there's still gas in the co2 bottle? If you remove the gas quick disconnect and push the valve on the disconnect, does gas rush out and the regulator returns to 30psi? Are you sure the regulator is functioning? What temperature is the beer?

I put a little dish soap and water into a spray bottle and check for leaks from time to time...might be a good way to see. Start at the CO2 tank and work your way to the keg. If the CO2 isn't empty and there is a leak, you will spot it.

I have noticed beers with a higher final gravity sometimes do not appear carbonated, but they taste carbonated. I just kegged an IPA that I had used two different yeasts. they finnished at 1.020 and 1.013(belgian yeast). Anyways they carbonated side by side, and when I put them into the fridge to serve, the 1.020 looked uncarbonated, no bubbles, no head, but it felt and tasted carbonated........ the other beer was carbonated perfectly.
Hope this helps.

I brewed a Vanilla Porter once with two Vanilla Beans added to the secondary. It took a while to carb up and there were no leaks in my hoses or tank.

Latest posts

Back