3rd batch, lalvin EC 1118

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paschendale

Reaction score
Just bottled my 3rd cider batch and I must say the flavor is lovely. Ended up 6.41% abv and I am very pleased. I believe I have found my perfect cider yeast. My next trials will concentrate on increasing the alcohol content, but I could drink this all day. Can't say how pleased I am!

Do you think EC-1118 would do okay in the 70 - 75 degree range? I ordered some us-05 believing it to be more suited to my temps, but I have heard many good things about EC-1118. Just worried that my room temp isn't cool enough. From what I understand, my higher temps could cause more fusel alcohol production. Also, Would you mind sharing your recipe? I am new to this, looking for a great cider recipe!

I'm brand new to brewing and have 2 batches going at the moment. A 3gal batch of apple with 1118 and a 1gal carboy of apple and pear and a few other ingredients. The big batch took about 50 hours to kick off gas from the airlock but the small batch took only overnight. Hopefully I've made the right choice with yeast! You've boosted my confidence.
Care to share your recipe?

Do you think EC-1118 would do okay in the 70 - 75 degree range? I ordered some us-05 believing it to be more suited to my temps, but I have heard many good things about EC-1118. Just worried that my room temp isn't cool enough. From what I understand, my higher temps could cause more fusel alcohol production. Also, Would you mind sharing your recipe? I am new to this, looking for a great cider recipe!

I can speak for that...I fermented on my kitchen counter within that temp range and was very pleased with it.

My recipe was very basic....1 gal white house apple cider, 1/8 tsp lalvin yeast and 1/4 C dark brown sugar dissolved in 1/2 C boiled water as the primary ferment. I let it run in primary for 2 weeks and then racked to secondary with no additions. It sat in secondary for 1 month and then I bottled. Yielded 3 1/2 liters at about 6.4 % abv

I was quite pleased, although I am a newbie too. The bottled result had lovely flavor and a nice amount of fizz. I will definitely use that yeast for cider in the future, although I think I will increase the sugar in the primary in the hopes of increasing the apv% It was very drinkable.

Sorry, meant to add...my temps were approximately 73 degrees f throughout the process

Thanks a lot. 73 is about where my apartment stays, even with A/C running cool, so that is good to hear. I'll give the EC-1118 a go on the second batch.

I'm brand new to brewing and have 2 batches going at the moment. A 3gal batch of apple with 1118 and a 1gal carboy of apple and pear and a few other ingredients. The big batch took about 50 hours to kick off gas from the airlock but the small batch took only overnight. Hopefully I've made the right choice with yeast! You've boosted my confidence.
Care to share your recipe?

Check the other post I made, my recipe is there. I am a big believer in simplicity and my recipe is that. Hope you like it.

I will be very interested in hearing about you folks' cider experiments. In my experience, even cider that failed for drinking is good for cooking and I'll gladly share those recipes with anybody who wants them.

Back