Cider I guess?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sebass1223

Reaction score
About a week Ago I got a mason jar filled it with a quarter full of water. I then put fresh apples and grapes cut in halves. I put 4 big spoonfuls of sugar in it and let it sit in my closet. The first two days it did nothing then after that it went crazy bubbling, and foaming, and hissing everytime i opened the lid. It's around 6 or 7 days later now and it's seemed to slow down/stop. What should I do now? Can I drink it? The apples and grapes don't look rotten or anything can I eat them? Would there be any alcohol in them?

Did you sanitize the jar, or add yeast?

You might have a cider, or even a wine, but it may be infected with undesireable bacteria / yeasts.

If it smells good, I don't think it could hurt to try it. But it may be awful.

If you're looking for an easy recipe, Ed Wort's Apfelwein is cheap and simple: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/entries/edworts-apfelwein.html

It is a great way to start without spending hardly anything.

I actually tried it it was pretty good and it ended up as cider I freeze distilled it last night so it's some pretty good apple jack now! I didn't add yeast so I guess the wild yeast helped there. I ate one of the apples from the jar and it just tasted like the cider wasnt bad but didnt do anything. Feel free to try my recipe if you want haha.

Back