Newby fermantation question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DiscDoc

Reaction score
This is day 7 of my Pliney The Elder clone with a Wyeast 1056 starter and a OG 1.070 in my wine cellar at 64 degrees room temp and that temp in my fermenter. This is my second brew. The bubbling in my blow off is still pretty active about 20-30 per minute. Does this look ok. Any comments or suggestions much appreciated.

image-3035483243.jpg

You really should have gone with at least a 4' blow off hose so you wouldn't have your bucket perched above the beer. Worst case, once the CO2 evolution peters out if the carboy head space temperature drops it will cause a vacuum that could pull what's in the bucket into the fermenter...

Cheers!

Agree with above. You always want the exit end of your blowoff tube at least as low as the end in the fermenter. Otherwise you risk setting up a siphon pulling your StarSan (or worse, water if that's what your using!) back into the fermenter when strong fermentation subsides.

Wow, that is am impressive amount of yeast / hops at the bottom of your fermenter. +1 on the longer blowoff, let it keep fermenting, that's a huge beer.

Back