Bleach

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brockettbrews

Reaction score
I have using bleach to clean my bottles with. I use 1 cup per gallon. I have heard that you shouldn't do this. Is this a good way to clean your bottles??? I put the bleach water in the bottle shake it and dump it out, should I be doing anything else ???

Do you mean clean or sanitize? With every post-boil piece of equipment, I think of two separate and distinct processes: 1) clean the equipment so there is no gunk on it (do this shortly after using) and 2) sanitize immediately before using.

For sanitizing, I use commmercial no-rinse sanitizers, Star San and Iodophor. I've used bleach to 'bomb' some equipment which I thought might have wild yeast in it (after an infection), but with bleach, generally you have to rinse it afterwards, so its not as effective as a final sanitizing step as the no-rinse sanitizers.

1 cup per gallon is a about the strength I use when I get first get bottles
from friends, recycle bins, craigs list, trashcans, etc., then they get washed before cycling them in.

its way to strong for general use cleaning.

1oz bleach, 1oz white vinegar, 5 gallons water is the no-rinse sanitizer strength (if you absolutely need to use bleach)

I use 1 tablespoon of bleach per callon of water for all of my sanitizing needs.

Back