Camping!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

makeitadouble

Reaction score
Hi folks I'm relatively new to fullscale homebrewing but I'm glad I picked up an old labor of love again.

Anyway I'm going camping in a couple weeks to a somewhat remote location in the Adirondaks and am trying figure out a good way to bring an Irish stout that is finnished currently in the fermentor. We have to take small boats to the location so montyhaulin isn't an option.

Bringing the 5 gallon keg is not the route I'd like to take and I swore off bottling a long time ago. So I'm thinking of putting the beer into 3 to 5 containers called "cubitainer". A square plastic compessable vessel that apparently you can "lightly" prime your beer in.

Anybody have any experience with these? I don't wanto drink commercial beer.

Any other ideas?

Thanks in advance!
Gary

Rhumbline said:
Would a 2-Liter soda bottle work?

They have those ball lock tops that screw on to soda bottles. You just put your beer in them and blast em with co2. Would be my route

I bottle from the keg when I need to take my beer some place. All I do is take a piece of a racking cane and put it in the tip of a picnic tap. Turn the co2 off and vent the pressure in the keg, then turn the co2 up until I get a slow stream coming out of the tap. I just sanatize my bottles slowly fill them and cap them. I don't get much in the way of foam and they hold carb for a long time.

I don't know why I didn't think of 2 liter bottles....duh..

No idea what racking cane is. I will look it up.

No worries now about bring my precious stout on the trip now. Hopefully the fish will cooperate too.

Thanks all.

I was planning on building one of those tire stem carbonator caps. The advantage is that the caps are cheap, so you can make a bunch of them and not worry if you lose them. The problem is you need to change one of your gas lines to an air chuck. Since I already had a ball lock gas line, I found the Carbonater cap an easier solution for about the same total cost. I make soda water with the Carbonater and swap out the Carbonater cap with a standard cap when it's done carbonating, so the relatively expensive cap is never far from my tank and hopefully is much harder to lose.

With already carbonated beer, you're using the 2L bottle as a plastic growler. I'd get a length of tubing that fits over the tap and reaches the bottom of the bottle. Fill the bottle slowly and completely. Then cap it. There's no space that needs to get filled with CO2. If you want to force carb in your bottle, then you need a carbonator cap.

Back