Used soda keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BMClark2210

Reaction score
So I just got my soda keg today and it leaks for the first 30 seconds when filling it with co2. Is this normal for all soda kegs? Or should I seek out a new top. Seal are all new btw

swackattack said:
Did you go to 30psi to properly seat the lid?

I didn't mention a specific psi but I did say that it would leak for the first few seconds and was wondering if that was normal. This kinda answers my question though. Thanks!

Pratzie said:
If all the seals are properly seated, there shouldn't be any leaking at all.

I'm assuming I'm good. I didn't know you had to seat the seal. I assumed that it wouldn't leak from the start but I guess they all leak for the first few seconds at the tanks fills. I did however order a new cap lol

Just a little trick that someone showed me once that you and others might be interested in.
If you put the top onto the keg and do not latch it yet, lift up the keg into the air by the latch then put air on it while in the air it will seal quickly. If you have an shutoff you can hook up the gas first then open the gas valve when you have it lifted up. Makes it a bit easier.

What the other brewers said... put some presure on it, it "might" leak for a second but then should seal...

I wet mine just a bit, put the pressure on it and lift the top my it's handle moving it around until it seals.

Consider new O-rings if that does not work and if you have more than one keg it is good to note which lids work with which kegs... Even the same type top sometimes does work on one keg but will work on another...

Some keg lids like to have a nickel or penny or some coin placed under the feet to make a decent seal. There are also the thicker O rings mentioned around here somewhere.

I have two used kegs (old lids, old feet on the latch)...I put all new gaskets on these. I also have two that were rebuilt from the place I bought them...new gaskets and a new lid.
My used kegs require keg lube to get a good seal....the rebuilt ones seal right away without. Wonder if it's something with the lid or feet?

I just received my new cap and it works perfectly. I need a screw driver just to pry the handle lol.

Back