BIAB Centennial Blonde with a 23 quart vessel?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrodder

Reaction score
I am eying up the Centennial Blonde recipe due to the rave reviews here. I would really like to try an all grain brew but am missing all the gear. According to the mash calculator, I should have no problem mashing that grain in a BIAB with my vessel. http://www.rackers.org/calcs.shtml

I am looking to input the recipe into beersmith, and am not sure how to proceed. I see an equipment entry for a 5 gallon BIAB, but that's a "mini" and only has a batch volume of 2.91 gallons. Is that normal? Is that without sparge? I was thinking of taking that full amount of grain, and then sparging through the bag until I get the normal 5 gallon batch size. Should I expect the gravity numbers as if I had done a normal AG brew?

If anyone can help me shed some light on this it would be greatly appreciated!

**edit**

This is what I came up with so far in beersmith:

Can I just disregard the mash in amount and fly sparge, and just concentrate on temps and a final volume of 5 gallons?

Code:
BeerSmith 2 Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Centennial Blonde
Brewer: 
Asst Brewer: 
Style: American Pale Ale
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (30.0) 

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 5.00 gal
Post Boil Volume: 5.00 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.00 gal   
Bottling Volume: 4.78 gal
Estimated OG: 1.045 SG
Estimated Color: 3.9 SRM
Estimated IBU: 19.3 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 79.3 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt                   Name                                     Type          #        %/IBU         
7 lbs                 Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)           Grain         1        80.0 %        
12.0 oz               Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM)             Grain         2        8.6 %         
8.0 oz                Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM)    Grain         3        5.7 %         
8.0 oz                Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM)                    Grain         4        5.7 %         
0.25 oz               Centennial [10.00 %] - Boil 55.0 min     Hop           5        8.4 IBUs      
0.25 oz               Centennial [10.00 %] - Boil 35.0 min     Hop           6        7.1 IBUs      
0.25 oz               Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 20.0 min         Hop           7        2.9 IBUs      
0.25 oz               Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 5.0 min          Hop           8        0.9 IBUs      

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Light Body, No Mash Out
Total Grain Weight: 8 lbs 12.0 oz
----------------------------
Name              Description                             Step Temperat Step Time     
Mash In           Add 10.94 qt of water at 162.1 F        150.0 F       75 min        

Sparge: Fly sparge with 2.32 gal water at 168.0 F
Notes:
------

Created with BeerSmith 2 - http://www.beersmith.com
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You can get a pretty decent idea of how much water to mash with by guesstimating what you will lose to the process.

* (kettle radius squared x 3.14)/150 = boil off in gallons per hour
* .06 x pounds of grain = loss due to absorption if you are squeezing the bag (which is fine)
* .5 gallons of goop in the bottom of the pot

I'm also a fan of rinsing the bag after mashing and before the squeeze, so I'll hold back a couple gallons to heat to around 165 degrees in a separate pot for that purpose, but plenty don't do that.

Anyway, if you start with your target volume to the fermentor and add in what you plan to lose, you should be able to predict how much strike water you need. As long as your water's pH is not totally out of whack, you should not panic when you realize that you're mashing at something crazy like 3 qts./gallon. If that worries you, then holding back a couple gallons for rinsing will help get the ratio to more conventional levels.

Does that help?

Just noticed the vessel size. Definitely want to hold a couple gallons back for the rinse. You're basically shooting to have that pot next to completely full during the mash. It will hold temps better that way... It's a great recipe, btw!

Ok so basically I wuold shoot to mash at 1.25L/lb or more, and sparge enough to make it to slightly over 5 gallons right? I don't lose much water from evaporation, as I am on the kitchen stove.

Can't say as far as L/lb, but I'm guessing that with a 23 qt pot, you will probably end up mashing with in the neighborhood of 1.75 quarts/pound for this recipe. Then rinse with enough to make up the pre boil volume. With just 3 quarts shy of 5 gallons as far as capacity, it would need to be a gentle boil!

Just did exactly this on Saturday. Gonna be totally honest I totally winged everything. I suppose that's a bit crazy or something but that's what I do. I took my own little notes on the process, so I can replicate if its good, or adjust if its decent to horrible. Either way my friends and I will drink it haha.
Good luck and let us know how it comes out. Don't stress over it too much, I'm sure it'll be fine. It's so hard to screw up beer I've found. Just sanitize well!

Latest posts

Back