Infected brew :(

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jono1492

Reaction score
Hey guys, just noticed this batch of beer is infected(I think). I dry hopped about three days ago after the krausen has fallen and it had no signs, now I'm looking at this :s what are your thoughts? Just bottle it up(has only been 11 days fermenting in primary) or ride it out?

Cheers

image.jpg

you think that it is infected beacuse the bubbles on the top of the beer just looks like lambik-kind fermentation right? well, maybe it just the effect of CO2 ougasing during dry hop. The bubbles are formed beacuse of the oil added with the hops. Wait for another couple of days...

if it's only been 11 days since you pitched, it's doubtful that you have an infection that looks like that. it might be possible, but typically takes more time.

hopefully you took a gravity reading before dry-hopping. take another one before you're ready to bottle. if your "FG" dropped again, then you're not at FG and you've got something munching sugars in there... possibly an infection.

Hmm...sure looks like the beginning of a pellicle, but it does seem very early. I've seen them grow quickly before, but if your sacc kraeusen just fell at day 6 or so (pure guesswork), that leaves 5 days to form a pellicle. I guess it's possible. I second the gravity readings.

if you can steal a sanitary sample to taste, you should and see what flavors you are getting. if that is the beginning of a pellicle that means the brett or bacteria was very active during your primary fermentation and the air/o2 exposure from adding the dry hops kicked in the pellicle to protect against excessive o2.

you think that it is infected beacuse the bubbles on the top of the beer just looks like lambik-kind fermentation right? well, maybe it just the effect of CO2 ougasing during dry hop. The bubbles are formed beacuse of the oil added with the hops. Wait for another couple of days...

I did think this could be the case, because I added a lot of hops, but as I researched a bit more it seemed less likely to be the case. Cheers

Thanks guys, I will keep my eye on it over the next few days. I didn't take a gravity reading before adding the hops, but will do in the future. I did however draw off a sample, no signs of sourness or any off flavours, tastes and smells awesome in fact.

Also, I did notice the bubbles dissipate shortly after opening the fermenter and have now reformed much smaller andin 'tighter' clusters this morning, if that helps anyone's analysis.

Cheers again guys

Back