Planning my summer pipeline

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

techbrewie

Reaction score
Hey all, putting some thought into the brews I am going to do this summer. Have a Citra IPA dry hopped in the secondary, and i want to get 3 more in the works. I'm really feeling the summer brews right now, IPAs, wheats, maybe a shandy? what would your top 3 be? I'm looking for some inspiration here.

Been thinking an american wheat with some sort of fruit (kiwi or mango perhaps?), an amarillo apa, or maybe that blood orange hefe I've seen on the forums.

Well, these aren't necessarily summerish beers, but this is my current plan:

Bottle conditioning - Mosaic IPA
Fermenting - Cream Ale
Next Up: Wee Heavy (with Edinburgh yeast cake from the cream ale), Nelson Sauvin Pale Ale, Barrel-Aged Imperial Mild, Boh Pilsner, English Curry IPA

Got to go saison, saison, saison.

After that, probably a nice cream ale for easy drinkin, and a hoppy but not over the top pale ale or milder IPA.

Looking forward to making some watermelon ale.

Last year a guy bought his effort to the club and I swear you could spit out watermelon pips after every sip. Great stuff.

I plan on brewing way more than 3 batches, but my top 3 summer beers (not in order) are:

Cream of 3 Crops ale (Biermunchers recipe)
Lemon-lime blonde ale (already in bottles, but I'll brew another batch next month)
Scottish 70- schilling

I also plan to brew a few pale ales, IPA's, and a few low gravity session beers before summer is through...

Only new idea I'll add is a little Belgian I make: 4% 3/4 pils, 1/4 wheat, about 22IBUs of Glacier, Abbey ale yeast. Amazing--light, a touch sweet from the pils, and crisply refreshing!

So far my summer pipeline is pretty lame, but I did just brew an orange/coriander pale ale (recipe on this site). It is one of the best home brews I have made and a perfect summer beer. Hoppy but drinkable by people who aren't huge into homebrew. It went real fast last time I made it.

I also have some skeeter pee going for the summer and am planning on a Belgian and might try my first siason this year.

Take a look at the orange coriander pale ale if that is your thing. The flavorings are very subtle, it is like a great pale ale with a little more interest.

+1 to Saison. I have a honey chamomile wheat from the recipe section going. If you can lager try a Kolsch. There is no substitute for a good Belgian Witbier is the summer, I particularly like Jamil's recipe from brewing classic styles it is outstanding.

Saison
Saison
IPA

Yes, Saison twice. I have the unhealthy obsession with delicious saisons, so they tend to be made a lot, especially in summer.

In case no one mentioned it...saison :D

I'm looking to brew another, perhaps a rye or ginger, some time in June. Great summer quencher.

I'm kind of thinking about a California common, a saison, and a Belgian dubbel or tripel. I don't have an easy way to manage fermentation temps, and I have to keep the house warm because of budget constraints.

+1 to all the Saison posts.

Yesterday, someone had a thread going about a wheat IPA, and it got me thinking I might do that this summer.

I have an APA in the kegerator (which may not last anywhere near summer, so I may have to make it again), an IIPA conditioning and priming in the keg, a Saison and an American Rye that are both almost ready for keg. I'm getting ready to make a Robust Porter and then probably a Bitter. As soon as the weather starts cooling off, I have the Wee Heavy aging in the keg and an Old Ale in bottles.

I made a half batch of the Orange Hefe and I now wish I had made more - great summertime beer. I'm actually trying the same idea now to make a Raspberry Wheat.

I made a ginger saison that is really refreshing and dry which should be a great lawn mower beer.

Finally I've got a Zombie Dust clone fermenting and a Kolsch in the secondary. So that's my summer lineup so far. Not sure what will be next...probably a session IPA or Wheat IPA. I've got some Citra and Mosaic to play with...

Cheers!

These are in my list to make…

1. Honey Basil Ale (big brew weekend)
2. Kolsch
3. IPA
4. WIT
5. Red IPA

Now we’re leaning toward fall time..

Got to find a way of keeping my 6 taps full.. :) I might need more Corny kegs

Not sure 50 gal will hold me over… but

CR-

Just bottled an American IPA (Mosaic, Simcoe, Cascade, Amarillo), next up going to do a classic Saison (great summer beer: crispy, spicy and refreshing).

Techbrewie, I brewed an American Wheat that was split out into 1 gal Secondaries and used a different fruit for each. One gallon was Canteloupe and Honeydew; turned out fantastic. I might try a full 5 gal version of that Melon Wheat this summer.

My planned pipeline is:

Milk stout
Pecan porter
Cream ale
Texas style bock
And a wheat of some kind, havent decided what yet

another +1 to the saison, and also hefe...I have never brewed one myself, but the idea of a watermelon wheat is awesome for summer...last year on my family's summer vacation, 21st Amendment's Hell or High Watermelon was my go-to post beach lunch beer!

Already in the pipeline (Lagering) and ready now-June: Helles, pilsner, dortmunder.... probably brew another round of each of these in the next few weeks to be ready in August/september.

In addition- fermenting: British Bitter and British Mild

On deck: Some APA's, West Coast Ambers.

Saison is a possibility too..... brewed a nice one on second runnings last fall, and it would be a good summer beer.

surprised I haven't seen Berlinner Weiss yet, brewing one next week. planning to fruit half, probably raspberries.

A buddy in my HB club and I are working on an American Wheat with a little honey malt and bunch of honeysuckle flowers--if it works out right, it should be a perfect summer beer!

wow thanks for all the great ideas! I think ima go with this.

American wheat
Saison
Blood orange hefe, that should get me through july :)

Thanks so much all!

Back