All grain tips for brewing experimentation.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shaffer1515

Reaction score
I've been brewing for a year-2 years starting extract and now all grain for half a year but I've been doing lots of kits. I would really like to start making my own creations. Anyone have some tips for going down this road?

Creating recipes is not as complex or as difficult as it can seem, I have been creating my own since batch number 2. I would recommend that you get Ray Daniels book Designing Great Beers and study it. Then learn about grain. What I did was buy small quantities and a lot of various types of grain and the different roasts and taste them. Like Rahr 2 row next to Briess 2 row they taste different. Taste different roast and try to imagine how that flavor will be in a beer. Then group several together in about the same proportion as you would in a recipe and taste then all at once. Will give you an idea of how they will combine. Don't just chomp on them, let the grain sit in your mouth a minute or so then chew slowly. Document document document take notes and make sure you understand "YOUR" process completely and "YOUR" equipment completely.
Make sure you pick either a clean yeast or a yeast appropriate to style or to enhance the flavor your looking for. To do that study yeast... I recommend the book YEAST by Chris White and Jamil Zainasheff.

You will find that you can easily write great recipes and brew them. Start easy like a brown ale or a pale ale and then move on.

Hoppy Brewing

George

EDIT: Another book that I like and learn a lot from every time I read it or refresh myself in it is New Brewing Lager Beer by Gregory J. Noonan.

Latest posts

Back