Question about fuses with PJ's diagrams

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cioffi

Reaction score
Okay, this could be a dumb questios. But, I'm using one of PJ's diagrams. It looks like he suggests using a 1 amp fuse in several places along the writing route. But, to my mind, a 1 amp fuse would blow constantly given that pumps, etc., are going to use over 1 amp. If so, does the "1" in the diagrams mean 10 amps?

TC

I've looked over a lot of his diagrams as well, but I don't recall him showing people to use 1 amp fuses with circuits involving pumps.

going off memeory I think I only recall 2 places where fuses are used in PJ diagrams - E-stop to short to ground to trip the GFCI and for protection of the PID.

going off memeory I think I only recall 2 places where fuses are used in PJ diagrams - E-stop to short to ground to trip the GFCI and for protection of the PID.
Plus a fuse to protect the pump circuits on a 30A feed panel.

With a 50A feed panel I use circuit breakers but also use fuses to protect the PIDs and the E-stop circuit.

To the OP: I'm wondering if you were looking at a diagram like this?

If so, the entire circuit for the pumps and PID's are connected to a 15 amp breaker, with the 1 amp fuse positioned after the pumps but before the PID's.

PJ and others,

I've attached the diagram by PJ that I'll be using. There's a 10 amp fuse that goes to the pumps, and then there are several 1 amp fuses wired in here and there: one for the E-stop, etc. I'm curious as to why 1 amp and not larger amperage.

TC

Wiring Diagram II.jpg

Cioffi said:
PJ and others,

I've attached the diagram by PJ that I'll be using. There's a 10 amp fuse that goes to the pumps, and then there are several 1 amp fuses wired in here and there: one for the E-stop, etc. I'm curious as to why 1 amp and not larger amperage.

TC

Cioffi, there's nothing to worry about here. PJ's got it absolutely right. If you look at the individual circuits that the 1A fuses are on, you'll find that they're protecting the contractor coils, e-stop circuit, and indicator lights. All of these area draw of less than 1amp. The pumps are protected by the 10A fuse. Use this diagram, follow it closely, and you'll have no problems.

Cioffi, there's nothing to worry about here. PJ's got it absolutely right. If you look at the individual circuits that the 1A fuses are on, you'll find that they're protecting the contractor coils, e-stop circuit, and indicator lights. All of these area draw of less than 1amp. The pumps are protected by the 10A fuse. Use this diagram, follow it closely, and you'll have no problems.

Excellent! Thanks everybody.

Latest posts

Back