Growing hops in the devils anus.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beer_Eugenics

Reaction score
I’m attempting to grow Cascade, Centennial, Columbus and Willamette in the devils anus aka Laredo, Texas. It averages a 100 days over a 100 and the last two winters we haven’t even had a frost. I planted them in containers and raised them four inches above the ground in an attempt to more easily control the moister. I also don’t like the look of a 20’ plus vertical hop vine so I will be growing them on a very slight angel in my garden which is 8’ x 24’. Hoping everything goes well I will update with pictures.

2013-04-09_12-59-17_239.jpg

2013-04-09_12-59-25_456.jpg

2013-04-09_13-15-27_387.jpg

My wife and I went to Great Lakes Hops (amazing people by the way) and they were telling us that next year they would have a hop variety for hot areas. They sad that it was found in the Southwest and that it would be available next year to sell. If these don't work for you, maybe you can try that? I'm not sure of the name but I'm sure you could message them on Facebook and they would tell you. Good luck with the hops! They are a lot of fun to grow!

I know Cascade should be fine there. I would put in a drip irrigation system due tp the heat. Drip depot has good prices, and also misters. I needed them 2 yrs ago here and they really helped.
Good luck with it.

My wife and I went to Great Lakes Hops (amazing people by the way) and they were telling us that next year they would have a hop variety for hot areas. They sad that it was found in the Southwest and that it would be available next year to sell. If these don't work for you, maybe you can try that? I'm not sure of the name but I'm sure you could message them on Facebook and they would tell you. Good luck with the hops! They are a lot of fun to grow!

I would recommend a name like "Devil's Anus Hops." I can already imagine a SMaSH recipe: Pale malt with 6 oz at 60 minutes, 6 oz. at 20 minutes and 6 oz. at Flame Out (which in South Texas is what you could call Winter). You could call it Laredo Lemonade.

I know Cascade should be fine there. I would put in a drip irrigation system due tp the heat. Drip depot has good prices, and also misters. I needed them 2 yrs ago here and they really helped.
Good luck with it.

Good idea I already have a sprinkler system so it would be easy to tap into it and add some drip sprinklers for the hops. Plus I planted two grapevines this year might as well throw two more in for them.

Look into drip tape, Just about no maintenance. I have 2000 ft of 5/8 that is extra if you just need a small run. Pm me if needed.

Thanks for the offer HALIFAXHOPS but I was just going to run some bubbler sprinklers, should only be about 2.50 a plant plus a few extra for the pvc runs.

Sounds like an offshoot from neomexicana.

Congrats - good to see some hop sprout action. I am at least a month away from sprouts. Still a foot of snow on the ground (Minneapolis, MN area). 26 degrees for a high tomorrow, but a warm up coming. I'll post some pics when things get going here.
hops.jpg

Multi head hops (neomexicana) isn't sold this year (rhizomes or plants) I guess it wasn't doing so well. There are two other neo hop rhizomes being sold this year.

I'm in DFW. My second year Cascade have broke ground, but aren't reaching like yours. Being 17 last week probably had something to do with that.

Waiting on my delivery of cascade to show up. Blazing hot here in south MS. Figured I'd start w 2 this summer and see how we do. I have almost an ac lot so I need to select a good spot.

How much direct sunlight would you say the bine gets?

Sent from my GT-I8552B using Home Brew mobile app

I live in the devils armpit (Houston) hot and humid. I just ordered some cascade, Chinook and zeus. Hope they turn out ok.

Back