1st IPA Batch: Own Recipe Profile

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bsig83

Reaction score
Ok just developed this IPA recipe with my friend and am looking for any thoughts or suggestions on it. Also we want to do a steeping grain for this LME recipe which we don't know what to go with. Heres our idea:

10lb LME Pale

2oz Cenntennial @90min
0.5 oz Simcoe @60min
1oz Centennial @45min
1oz Cascade @30min
1oz Cascade @10min
1oz Centennial @10min
0.5oz Simcoe @0min

Yeast
Dry Safale S-05
0.25 pack Safbrew T-58

Dry Hop 0.75oz Cascade

Appreciate any thoughts! Thanks!

I'd encourage the use of some steeping grains to add some complexity to the grainbill. A little crystal 40L, or some victory malt, or some amber malt, or some aromatic malt would be nice.

As far as the hopping, the 90/60/45/30 minute additions are sort of redundant. There is no advantage to hops at 90 minutes vs 60 minutes other than a very few IBUs, and the same is true of 45 minute hops. Those are all "bittering" additions, and so using the simcoe and more centennial will give you more bitterness, but not any flavor or aroma so you've got a recipe for a bitter beer with little hops flavor or aroma.

I'm not a fan of a hugely bitter beer without flavor or aroma, so I'd change it up.

I'd do something more like this:
1 oz Cenntennial @60 min (or 90, as it really doesn't matter) to 40 IBUs or so
1 oz centennial 20 minutes
1 oz simcoe 15 minutes
1 oz cascade 10 minutes
1 oz centennial 5 minutes
1 oz simcoe flame out
1 oz cascade flame out
Dryhop with at least 2 ounces of any of the above

Why do you have T-58 yeast as well as the S05? I don't get that. I'd use two packages of S05 if the OG is going to be above 1.075 (didn't do the math) and not add T-58.

Appreciate the ideas, yeah your right it proly is too bitter. The T-58 was just for different flavoring with different yeast. I guess some experimenting. I think I'll adjust the recipe a little bit. thanks again for the help!

Back