Star Trek or Star Wars?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That new ST movie looks pretty kick ass.

The new SW movie I'm reserving opinion for the time being.

You know.........Going backwards, despite the 3 absolutely HORRIBLE star wars movies since the originals, I would have said that Star wars is Cooler than Star trek.

Going forward? Guess what. Despite only having seen 1/2 the movies, I am an effing Trekky. Star Trek will be SO much more bad ass than anything the star wars tragedy can squeeze out of it's bleeding rectum.....(yes, I would probably kill GL on sight) that I will see anything Star Trek in the theatre, anything star wars will be later, if it gets INCREDIBLE reviews.

You know.........Going backwards, despite the 3 absolutely HORRIBLE star wars movies since the originals, I would have said that Star wars is Cooler than Star trek.

Going forward? Guess what. Despite only having seen 1/2 the movies, I am an effing Trekky. Star Trek will be SO much more bad ass than anything the star wars tragedy can squeeze out of it's bleeding rectum.....(yes, I would probably kill GL on sight) that I will see anything Star Trek in the theatre, anything star wars will be later, if it gets INCREDIBLE reviews.

I'm sorry but which was terrible? I hope you're not referencing Search for Spock.

People have hated on Jar Jar for so long and with such ferocity that I think its almost cool to like him at this point.

I'm sorry but which was terrible? I hope you're not referencing Search for Spock.

The only thing terrible were the 3 STAR WARS movies that came after 1990.

No, I was acknowledging that despite the fact that the first 3 star wars movies "outcool" everything else, Star Trek is 50 and 0 since Return of the Jedi.

NOTHING Star Trek has sucked. Even all of the spin off shows are good, if not my cup of tea.

It was Star Wars' to lose, and like everything Star Wars does, they did it in EPIC fashion. Could not have hated it more. Walked out of theaters, returned videos half watched, and finally boycotted the third one ENTIRELY.

The only thing terrible were the 3 STAR WARS movies that came after 1990.

No, I was acknowledging that despite the fact that the first 3 star wars movies "outcool" everything else, Star Trek is 50 and 0 since Return of the Jedi.

NOTHING Star Trek has sucked. Even all of the spin off shows are good, if not my cup of tea.

It was Star Wars' to lose, and like everything Star Wars does, they did it in EPIC fashion. Could not have hated it more. Walked out of theaters, returned videos half watched, and finally boycotted the third one ENTIRELY.

My biggest Star Wars disappointment was the last one.

As fans, we're treated to an epic battle surrounded by lava and fire - with ridiculous special effects. Finally, Anakin is defeated and his extremities are burned off. You realize we're going to get to see birth of Darth Vader. It could be awesome! How could it not be awesome?
-But-
It ends with Vader standing up in that cheezy (no offense) 70s looking costume and breathing heavy.

That killed it for me. I know it's iconic, but it totally took me out of the movie. I think a costume upgrade was in order even in the face of maintaining continuity. :D

I love that suit! I think the worst part is what that fat slob George Lucas did to the man inside the suit. A pathetic, sobbing teenager that can't stop whining. I surprised there wasn't a scene where anakin writes bad poetry while he doodles hearts around his girlfriends photos. I'm not letting the horrendous acting off the hook, but George Lucas needs to choke on a wookies d@%k. End tirade.

On a lighter note, is the last Star Trek movie worth picking up on dvd? I haven't watched any Star Trek in years.

I love that suit! I think the worst part is what that fat slob George Lucas did to the man inside the suit. A pathetic, sobbing teenager that can't stop whining. I surprised there wasn't a scene where anakin writes bad poetry while he doodles hearts around his girlfriends photos. I'm not letting the horrendous acting off the hook, but George Lucas needs to choke on a wookies d@%k. End tirade.

On a lighter note, is the last Star Trek movie worth picking up on dvd? I haven't watched any Star Trek in years.

The new one, where Kirk is a kid is BAD ASS.. Loved it and I was NOT a trekky at that point.

I hope the follow up was good too.

I didn't mind the suit in 1977, or even the 1980s for that matter. It just didn't fit the second set of films.

I mean, there were robots, cyborgs, and all kind of cool-looking high-tech things running around during the whole second set of movies. The costume just looked really dated. I mean the guy can't even turn his head. And what's with the cape? Nobody else is wearing a cape. They could have turned him into an awesome cyborg-looking thing. I understand it would have been heresy, but it would have worked better for me.

Just my opinion. Take it for what it's worth.

I highly recommend the Star Trek movie.

Krovitz said:

Worth it! It was directed by J.J. Abrams (Lost)
Kind of went a little heavy on the lens flashes, but awesome effects, descent story and good acting (who doesn't want to see Simon Peggy as 'Scottie'?)

I didn't mind the suit in 1977, or even the 1980s for that matter. It just didn't fit the second set of films.

I mean, there were robots, cyborgs, and all kind of cool-looking high-tech things running around during the whole second set of movies. The costume just looked really dated. I mean the guy can't even turn his head. And what's with the cape? Nobody else is wearing a cape. They could have turned him into an awesome cyborg-looking thing. I understand it would have been heresy, but it would have worked better for me.

No, you make a fantastic point. Instead of cohesion, *****ey and his money hungry d!p sh!ts made the coolest looking (or so they thought) stuff they could, even though they were prequels:drunk: and then tried to splice it all together with some ear wax and duct tape.

F*CK George Lucas.

I don't agree with this. Just for continuity he has to wear his bad ass Vader outfit. The only way I could see him wearing something else is if he wore a new cyborg outfit at the end of the second movie and later finished his outfit. It would have been better that way so we could have more Vader and less anakin, but I think it would have been naked 3po with a helmet knowing Lucas. I was born in 86 and I don't think it is an outdated look.

As for capes, there's Dookoo, Grievous, Lando... if you take the hoods off then many force users have a cape. Capes are good for making you look larger, more intimidating. Vader's whole thing is big, unyielding, powerful.

I don't agree with this. Just for continuity he has to wear his bad ass Vader outfit. The only way I could see him wearing something else is if he wore a new cyborg outfit at the end of the second movie and later finished his outfit. It would have been better that way so we could have more Vader and less anakin, but I think it would have been naked 3po with a helmet knowing Lucas. I was born in 86 and I don't think it is an outdated look.

As for capes, there's Dookoo, Grievous, Lando... if you take the hoods off then many force users have a cape. Capes are good for making you look larger, more intimidating. Vader's whole thing is big, unyielding, powerful.

I understand the continuity thing. Lucas kinda had to do it. I just don't think it worked that well.

I was around when Star Wars first came out so I appreciate the original trilogy, but I also saw how things fell apart in the second set of movies.

Again, just my opinion.

It was on tv once and I accidentally flipped through. Some sub par CGI of a giant lizard....Stoooopid.

Oh, that was a lizard? I thought it was a 4 armed robot with emphysema.

Oh well. The RedLetterMedia reviews of the prequal trilogy made for better viewing anyway.

[ame]http://youtu.be/FxKtZmQgxrI[/ame]

Oh, that was a lizard? I thought it was a 4 armed robot with emphysema.

Oh well. The RedLetterMedia reviews of the prequal trilogy made for better viewing anyway.

http://youtu.be/FxKtZmQgxrI

How those robots were around for centuries, and never became good shots with a blaster is ridiculous. Guess the robots had glaucoma as well as emphysema.:drunk:

durrrrrrrrrrr....

Would someone please defend episodes 123 so I will have a target to vent on?

cheezydemon3 said:
Would someone please defend episodes 123 so I will have a target to vent on?

Oh boy, here we go. The family and I had a lazy Sunday movie marathon yesterday, and we watched the first three episodes. We thought it would be a good idea to introduce the kids to the series from the beginning. So, as far as the first three episodes are concerned. The light saber battles are obviously better than the originals. The grandiose effects and epic styling of the movies are definitely better in my opinion. The sets, makeup and cinematography are better as well, if only for the better technology at the filmmakers' disposal. Where episodes 1-3 are lacking though; story and dialogue. Which is basically the only reason to watch a movie, right? Blech, the cheesy and forced relationship between Anakin and Padmé was uncomfortable to watch. And that end scene with Darth in the suit, breaking free of the table like Frankenstein while screaming NOOO! That was a disaster.

The originals seem more campy than episodes 1-3 when you're looking at the quality of filming, or at least A New Hope was after watching the first three episodes. But at least we can all agree on one thing. Luke is a whiney B. Like his father before him.

Luke is a whiney B. Like his father before him.

Yep. That was all I got out of Ep 1-6. The entire time. Whine whine whine. The entire idea is epic. The light sabers are epic. The Force and Jedi are epic. The whining is epic.

And BTW, AT-AT's make no logical sense in the entire series. Why have a huge behemoth slow moving transport vehicle when you can use a speeder?

Yep. That was all I got out of Ep 1-6. The entire time. Whine whine whine. The entire idea is epic. The light sabers are epic. The Force and Jedi are epic. The whining is epic.

And BTW, AT-AT's make no logical sense in the entire series. Why have a huge behemoth slow moving transport vehicle when you can use a speeder?

Only thing I can think is that speeders are very short range in the extreme cold.(?)

Plus the rebels have a base to go back to should the siege last a while. Servicing and re-fueling speeders in the vicious cold without an on-planet base may have been problematic.

And that end scene with Darth in the suit, breaking free of the table like Frankenstein while screaming NOOO! That was a disaster.

Yessss - vindication! I like the Frankenstein reference there. I never thought of that, but it fits.

The originals seem more campy than episodes 1-3 when you're looking at the quality of filming, or at least A New Hope was after watching the first three episodes. But at least we can all agree on one thing. Luke is a whiney B. Like his father before him.

Nothing wrong with campy. If the whole series stayed campy it would have worked much better IMO. I can't watch these movies in the order intended (1-6) and totally enjoy them. If I were recommending these movies to someone who had never seen them I'd treat them as completely seperate trilogies. I'd tell them to watch 4-6, then 1-3 just the way they came out. Or I wouldn't tell them about 1-3 at all. :D

Who needs logic when you clearly have superior fire power? Why would you have shield generators that block orbital bombardment but do squat against AT AT fire?

Oooh! How'd I miss that. The talent part of the Pageant????Speechless.

So!

Anyone seen BSG?

;)

I watched it to the part that they were prisoners on some planet. It was great before that, but then I got extremely bored.

I watched it to the part that they were prisoners on some planet. It was great before that, but then I got extremely bored.

A common lament.

Venture on a little further, there were only 4 or so "planet" episodes. The episode where they (*SPOILER BELOW*) is regarded by most as the BEST episode in the series and not only justifies, but is even made better by the slower planet episodes.

* vacate the sh!tty little planet*

A common lament.

Venture on a little further, there were only 4 or so "planet" episodes. The episode where they (*SPOILER BELOW*) is regarded by most as the BEST episode in the series and not only justifies, but is even made better by the slower planet episodes.

* vacate the sh!tty little planet*

Hardly a spoiler when you already told me there are only 4 such episodes ;)

Lol. Sorry! Can't help myself!

That episode and the 2 episode finale are nerdgasmic. And plenty of cool stuff in between.

I guess this is the problem I have with the originals. Just imagine this guy going up against Anakin from the first three episodes. Luke is supposed to be the chosen one, but Anakin was so badass. Well, the acting was terrible, but still the fight sequences were awesome. (Sorry, it's a mobile site, I basically only browse on my phone these days)

http://www.buzzfeed.com/louispeitzm...4/anigif_enhanced-buzz-18145-1367607040-8.gif

I guess this is the problem I have with the originals. Just imagine this guy going up against Anakin from the first three episodes. Luke is supposed to be the chosen one, but Anakin was so badass. Well, the acting was terrible, but still the fight sequences were awesome. (Sorry, it's a mobile site, I basically only browse on my phone these days)

http://www.buzzfeed.com/louispeitzm...4/anigif_enhanced-buzz-18145-1367607040-8.gif

So......your are saying that Lucas is a moronic ass hat. I concur.

The new Star Trek movie was fantastic! May the force be with you...

You sci-fi nerds have no sense of humor

Star Wars came out when I was 9(ish). It was perfect, the light sabers were awesome! Last night, my son asked if we could watch Battle Star Galactica because the cylon. Six, is so "hot". He's 9. Kids are so much more advanced.

Back