I'd like to buy an auto-siphon...but what's the diff between 1/2" and 5/6"?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elysium

Reaction score
Last edited by a moderator:
I've had both of them. They both work fine - the large one is faster. You can get a clip like the following to hold the smaller autosiphon so you don't have to hold it.

1018.jpg

If you are going to be siphoning out of a glass carboy, the 1/2" is too fat to fit in.

Yeah they will both work just fine but as passed pawn has stated the larger 1/2" will transfer quicker. Reason being is the center plunger tube where the beer or wort will transfer through is physically a larger diameter which will offer less resistance as well as hold more fluid due to the increased space in the tube. If it was me an I also have both I would use the larger one. Get the clip to hod the racking cane in place as well Br make sure to get the right clip they also come in 2 sizes - mini-regular and grande large.

Yeah they will both work just fine but as passed pawn has stated the larger 1/2" will transfer quicker. Reason being is the center plunger tube where the beer or wort will transfer through is physically a larger diameter which will offer less resistance as well as hold more fluid due to the increased space in the tube. If it was me an I also have both I would use the larger one. Get the clip to hod the racking cane in place as well Br make sure to get the right clip they also come in 2 sizes - mini-regular and grande large.

Thank you guys for the replies. Is this the clip I need for the large (1/2") siphon?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0064OJSIQ/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Thank you guys for the replies. Is this the clip I need for the large (1/2") siphon?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0064OJSIQ/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Yes that should work fine..... I also have very close ties with a LHBS I don't own it but I am pretty invested in the company. I say this as the brand we carry has each bag clearly marked mini-regular or grande large..... the regular mini will fit the mini racking canes used for like 1-3 gallon carboys and the smaller diameter racking canes where the larger is for the large racking canes only. another poster had made mention that the larger racking cane cannot be used in a glass carboy. YMMV as depending on the source of your carboy it may or may not work. For example we import our glass directly form Italy and the large cane will work fine in the 6.5 and the 6 gallon carboy and technically fit the 5 gallon as well but it's really tight and I don't recommend using the larger one in a 5 gallon carboy. Again it all depends on YOUR specific carboy.

Just a side note I see in your OP you make mention that you are using this in a 3-5 gallon pot...... not a carboy..... I assume you are racking the beer after brew day to the carboy or bucket...... in this case definitely go with the larger cane.

Back