I'm desperate to brew! home beer from basic kitchen ingredients

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thewestwood

Reaction score
I'm currently working and living in Kabul, so we have NO access to proper brewing supplies or ingredients. I snuck in a few kits past customs but I've already used them up. I want to try and get some brewing going from basic home ingredients - however here I cannot find any barley, hops, yeast, etc. etc. I do have a bunch of wine yeast packets I brought for making some wine, but would be into trying something different. Any ideas out there?

You are living in a fundamentalist Muslim country. I think it unwise to start a brewery in Kabul. You will have some Ayatolla issuing a fatwa on you if you are not careful. My suggestion is stick to black tea for now rather than upsetting the locals.

If you have wine yeast, I'd stick with ciders or prison wine.

Come back to America!

Cider for sure. Try the apfelwein recipe on this site. You can use that wine yeast for that. Find some apples or apple juice.

Also possible to make tepache. Don't need yeast for that, just a whole pineapple. Learn from my mistakes and refrigerate before it gets too sour. You can probably skip all the ingredients except the pineapple and the sugar.

Back