Bar build - Thanks All

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bknifefight said:
What is that in the last picture? It looks like an upside down metal goblet.

That is a pendant light. There will be 6 of them hanging from the soffit, above the bar.

I was in MD when I started on forums and I chose my screen name. Too old to remember 100 different names so I stuck with it. I moved to VA last summer though. I'm now in Gainesville, so iris not too far from MD. :)

Oh perfect! I drive through Gainesville on 29 when going to visit family, I'll be sure to stop by for a pint when you're done!

Seriously though, very nice design and build!

:mug:

I was in MD when I started on forums and I chose my screen name. Too old to remember 100 different names so I stuck with it. I moved to VA last summer though. I'm now in Gainesville, so iris not too far from MD. :)

I drive through Gainesville all the time on my way to our place in the mountains. there's a new Irish Pub with a nice beer selection in that large shopping center that's really nice. I can't recall the name but it took the place of The American Tap Room.

Looks like you picked the same floor I did:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/basement-brew-pub-237444/

I drive through Gainesville all the time on my way to our place in the mountains. there's a new Irish Pub with a nice beer selection in that large shopping center that's really nice. I can't recall the name but it took the place of The American Tap Room.

Oh yeah I've been there, the bar top has photos all over it right?

rvklein said:

Wow. Love your bar and the floors are very similar.
That pub is Grafton St. I was just there, again, yesterday. Probably spent too long there. :)

Yesterday they finished the first coat of poly on the bar. 2 more coats today. I can't wait for this part to be done because the fumes are awful.

image-3688039749.jpg

Attachments

• image-3656833147.jpg
    image-3656833147.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 1,939
  • image-4114868516.jpg
    image-4114868516.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 1,931
rvklein said:
Yep, that's the one! I love that they have a good local beer & whiskey selection.

Yeah, I love Irish Whiskey. Still learning to enjoy Scottish.

Some of my new Irish whiskies. Shipment just came in from Ireland. CelticWhiskeyShop.com, if anyone wants to order, they ship direct. They are located on Dawson St, just around the corner from Grafton St., in Dublin.

image-358451021.jpg

Infinite jealousy here. I'm finishing our keezer over the next few days, and then it's on to the bar. The plan is in place but we've been unable to find anything we liked for the bar top. The copper site my be the ticket. Hmm...

I just wish we could do something like this in our NYC apt. I think your whole bar is nearly the size of our apt!

Yesterday they added two more coats of poly to everything. Thank goodness the weather is nice so we could keep all the windows open. You. Really can't tell the difference, in a picture, so no photos today. They said they maybe back today, to put it all back together. If so, I will update the thread with those pics. The bar rail is in, and just needs to be picked up. Hopefully the copper gets here tomorrow so we can wrap up the build this week.

I'm jealous of your liquor shelf. I didn't think I'd need more than what I have but with the bar in the middle of the room and all the appliances there were few options. The bar was just a little too small to put an island on the inside.

rvklein said:
I'm jealous of your liquor shelf. I didn't think I'd need more than what I have but with the bar in the middle of the room and all the appliances there were few options. The bar was just a little too small to put an island on the inside.

Thanks, I am jealous of your brew room! Wish I had room to do that. I put in the theater when I first moved in and if I had sized it differently I could have done a brew room. I could take some space away from the storage room but we have way too much crap in there. Already lost room by putting the Keezer back there. Maybe if I can talk the wife into converting the gym, I could put it there. Doubtful though. She already shot down the urinal idea, so I think I may have pushed far enough... for now. :)

Having been to both Ireland and Scotland I have developed a taste for single malt, however when I was there, it seemed prices were high and shipping made it worse.
would it not be cheaper to purchase locally??
I did bring back a few bottles but I later found out that it was actually higher over there, of course I brought a few rare ones back...
Awesome build, getting a new house with a full unfinished basement so planning the HT/Bar/Brewery as well... great job!!:mug:

Yeah, I love Irish Whiskey. Still learning to enjoy Scottish.

Some of my new Irish whiskies. Shipment just came in from Ireland. CelticWhiskeyShop.com, if anyone wants to order, they ship direct. They are located on Dawson St, just around the corner from Grafton St., in Dublin.

View attachment 118355

wyowolf said:
Having been to both Ireland and Scotland I have developed a taste for single malt, however when I was there, it seemed prices were high and shipping made it worse.
would it not be cheaper to purchase locally??
I did bring back a few bottles but I later found out that it was actually higher over there, of course I brought a few rare ones back...
Awesome build, getting a new house with a full unfinished basement so planning the HT/Bar/Brewery as well... great job!!:mug:

Yeah, I found that to be the case for a lot of the more readily available bottles. One thing that helps though is to tell them not to charge VAT. If you are a tourist, you don't have to pay it. Getting VAT refund is a pain in the butt.
There are some really good, not too expensive, whiskies that I can't get locally. Like the Spots, Green Spot and Yellow Spot. I can't get them here and they are delicious. Celtic Whiskey Shop won't charge VAT for international shipping, automatically.
Good luck on your build. Definitely post pictures!

Yes the VAT thing was a pain!!
Sadly I have become addicted to Single Malts... I have tried others... but its just not the same...

Hopefully everything with go through with the sale of this house.. then can start on the next... so many things to plan and build!! will def post pics... I can assure you several idea will be stolen from this one...

Frank

Yeah, I found that to be the case for a lot of the more readily available bottles. One thing that helps though is to tell them not to charge VAT. If you are a tourist, you don't have to pay it. Getting VAT refund is a pain in the butt.
There are some really good, not too expensive, whiskies that I can't get locally. Like the Spots, Green Spot and Yellow Spot. I can't get them here and they are delicious. Celtic Whiskey Shop won't charge VAT for international shipping, automatically.
Good luck on your build. Definitely post pictures!

wyowolf said:
Yes the VAT thing was a pain!!
Sadly I have become addicted to Single Malts... I have tried others... but its just not the same...

Hopefully everything with go through with the sale of this house.. then can start on the next... so many things to plan and build!! will def post pics... I can assure you several idea will be stolen from this one...

Frank

I hear you about the single malts. Have you tried Connemara? It is a peated single malt from Ireland. If you like single pot still, try Green or Yellow Spot. I haven't found anyone who didn't like them. :)

Havent tried that one... but i guess if your gonna FORCE me.. I will :)
its true there are a LOT more varieties available over there then here...

I hear you about the single malts. Have you tried Connemara? It is a peated single malt from Ireland. If you like single pot still, try Green or Yellow Spot. I haven't found anyone who didn't like them. :)

wyowolf said:
Havent tried that one... but i guess if your gonna FORCE me.. I will :)
its true there are a LOT more varieties available over there then here...

Consider your arm twisted. :)

Not much done today, visually. They finished the electrical, hung the pendant lights, installed the wine fridge and then we started working on the bag in box soda gun.
I am seriously hoping that the copper comes tomorrow or there is no way we will get done this week. Done, as in, usable this weekend. No matter what, there will be more to do next week.

image-3547382646.jpg

Attachments

• image-1348016205.jpg
    image-1348016205.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 1,794
  • image-1812938203.jpg
    image-1812938203.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 1,679
Looking fantastic Dave! I retrospect, I wish I would have devoted more square footage of my basement for my bar. I love the scale of your bar, the wood work is top notch, and the liquor shelves are brilliant. Hind sight is always 20/20. I didn't think I could get anymore jealous after seeing rvkleins bar build, but here we go again! :D

Hoppopotomus said:
Looking fantastic Dave! I retrospect, I wish I would have devoted more square footage of my basement for my bar. I love the scale of your bar, the wood work is top notch, and the liquor shelves are brilliant. Hind sight is always 20/20. I didn't think I could get anymore jealous after seeing rvkleins bar build, but here we go again! :D

Lol. I know what you mean. I thought I had done enough research before I started, but all you people keep coming up with great new ideas and then I wish I had thought of it before I started my build.
I absolutely love the rustic look you have gone with. Now just cover that darn fridge. ;)

I know, I know!!! For some reason, my wife is against me covering it. :confused: I'm sure I could talk her into it if I stressed the issue further, but with all of the time I have spent on building my brewery, I sort of put it on the back burner. I'll get to it someday! ;)

Today is a long one, but I wanted to post some, in progress pics of the copper going down on the bar and counters.

image-3412077705.jpg

Attachments

• image-583735406.jpg
    image-583735406.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 1,580
I took the day off work today and we finished laying all of the copper on the bar and the counters. TV got mounted and the shelf for the cable box and Roku was installed. I got most of the soda machine working but need to have the guys hook up the drains tomorrow. Then, I got the tower and taps installed. I hooked up the lines for the glycol and got it running. I also got all of the beer lines connected. I want to run sanitizer through the lines before any beer hits it, but I am bushed so off to bed and I will save that for tomorrow.
The bar rail is cut and ready to attach tomorrow as well.

image-3639214551.jpg

Attachments

• image-1027307910.jpg
    image-1027307910.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 1,566
  • image-658958339.jpg
    image-658958339.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 1,563
Beautiful. Thoughts on the chiller location. Get some Dynamat to reduce the noise from the compressor and you'll want to exhaust the heat somewhere too.

Beautiful. Thoughts on the chiller location. Get some Dynamat to reduce the noise from the compressor and you'll want to exhaust the heat somewhere too.

Yeah, realized last night that I am going to have to add a vent for it. I like the dynamat idea, but I don't know if I can hear it running when my beer cooler is installed. I have a commercial, 50" wide, slide top cooler, and it is loud. It does not disrupt movies, or discussion, though.

I actually posted a question in your build thread about your set point for the glycol pump. Right now I am at 20F, and there is ice forming on the lines that are exposed, and the tower is sweating. Once I prove to myself that there ar no leaks in my system, I will insulate and close up the connections under the tower.

EDIT: Just saw your reply there. Thanks. I will try 28 and see how that works.

rvklein said:

My contractor wants to put a vent in the cabinet door where the soda chiller is. I bought one, made for a floor vent, but he thinks I should replace the inside frame of the door with a mesh panel. Do you think that is overkill?

Today was a big day. They painted most of the bar area, just not the bar itself. They put the bar rail on and got the first coat of lacquer on the copper. They will epoxy it all next week because it takes 3 days to cure and I have a party this weekend and we need the bar! The mirror was mounted and I wired up the LEDs for the liquor stand. Them they dropped in the glass. Ice maker and mini fridge went I and then I had a spurt of energy so I cleaned all of the lines and hooked up my keg of Guinness and enjoyed my first pint in the bar.

image-4117454851.jpg

Attachments

• image-3552797172.jpg
    image-3552797172.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 1,586
  • image-2789126309.jpg
    image-2789126309.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 1,574
  • image-2909836233.jpg
    image-2909836233.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 1,577
  • image-2003032731.jpg
    image-2003032731.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 1,602
image-63293810.jpg

Attachments

• image-2782656795.jpg
    image-2782656795.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 1,603
  • image-3035723612.jpg
    image-3035723612.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 1,568
  • image-2953695200.jpg
    image-2953695200.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 1,567
golfduke said:
wow. Really starting to come along!

Thanks. Getting closer! It will be usable this weekend but they will finish it all next week.

hungry4hops said:
this is awesome! im sooooo jealous!

I have to say that I find it a bit funny that some of you say you are jealous. Only because I am jealous of all of you who brew. One day, when I have more time, or less hobbies, I would love to learn how to do it. As is, between the kids and my motorcycles, I don't have many daylight hours to spare. :(. I figured a bar would be perfect though as once the kids are asleep, I can chill with a beer in my own bar.

Just about done. A few trim things to tomorrow and then the epoxy next week. Now if my ice maker and soda chiller would just behave! They are going to try to fix them tomorrow. So, here are a few pics, nearly complete.

image-798386589.jpg

Attachments

• image-174823672.jpg
    image-174823672.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 1,548
  • image-757751964.jpg
    image-757751964.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 1,544
  • image-2013954471.jpg
    image-2013954471.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 1,558
  • image-353163889.jpg