2013 HBT Fantasy Baseball

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would think that you would not be in favor of your own point. I would still have Matt Carpenter if we had an extra bench slot.

Your other point is something that I have noticed and been interested by since the draft. I think that in this league we are seeing the result of the year of Trout and Harper. Last year the only top prospect that was drafted in our league and was guaranteed to start in the minors was Harper. I picked up Trout right before he was called up. This year there were 5 players drafted in our league that are guaranteed to start in the minors: Wil Myers, Travis D'Arnaud, Jurickson Profair, Trevor Bauer, and Zach Wheeler.

There are a lot of different points of view on this and none of them are more correct than any other. However, what are the odds that all five of those players will be actually worth a keeper slot next year, based upon what they have done this year and knowing that we only have 7 keepers per year? Further, you have to take that probability and figure out if it is worth losing 1-3 months - or more - of a usable slot for this season just to see how they hack it in the bigs.

All in all, I have no idea whether it makes sense in our league to sit on a prospect, I have chosen not to...but then again, it may be worth it for this year or the future. Either way, I think a team owner needs to have a downside to holding a prospect.

Very valid points-however, you don't have Carpenter anymore, so I'm grateful to that. Prospects are worth nothing if you cant afford to wait for them to play in the show. I had to make a choice when I drafted Myers and Profar-was the available bench players worth passing over for the #1 and #2 MLB prospect? My answer was NO. It may turn out to be my undoing, we'll have to wait and see...You forgot to mention Yasiel Puig being drafted by Alfred(Bridgetown IPA Junkies)who's the REAL DEAL a la Cespedes and will be a huge factor for the Dodgers before too long.

I did forget Puig. Not sure how. :eek:

Like I said, I am not sure if there is a right or a wrong way to do it. You have chosen to, I have chosen not to. The thing is it is going to take more than a year to find out (unless you keep both all season and choose not to keep one for next season) who was right and who was wrong. Even then though it may be worth it if 1 out of 2 or 1 out of 5 or 1 out of X makes it worthwhile. Which just theoretically proves the point that there is no right or wrong way to do it.

I would love to see the number of keepers increase to 9 or 10 but that is a discussion for another month.

Edit: And now for something entirely different:

People that I am willing to trade (besides anyone for the right deal):
1 of my closers: Bobby Parnell, Chris Perez, Grant Balfour, Craig Kimbrel (plus maybe a SP to upgrade at SP)
JJ Hardy
David Freese (back from the DL starting today)
Carlos Beltran

I did forget Puig. Not sure how. :eek:

Like I said, I am not sure if there is a right or a wrong way to do it. You have chosen to, I have chosen not to. The thing is it is going to take more than a year to find out (unless you keep both all season and choose not to keep one for next season) who was right and who was wrong. Even then though it may be worth it if 1 out of 2 or 1 out of 5 or 1 out of X makes it worthwhile. Which just theoretically proves the point that there is no right or wrong way to do it.

I would love to see the number of keepers increase to 9 or 10 but that is a discussion for another month.

Edit: And now for something entirely different:

People that I am willing to trade (besides anyone for the right deal):
1 of my closers: Bobby Parnell, Chris Perez, Grant Balfour, Craig Kimbrel (plus maybe a SP to upgrade at SP)
JJ Hardy
David Freese (back from the DL starting today)
Carlos Beltran

I understand your point of view, who knows what this season brings?! I'm starting to wish we had either more keepers or none at all. My reasoning is that the draft isn't what it could be...The three of us here local to each other(Alfred,Carson and I) usually get together and make it a big deal, but this year didn't work out schedule wise.

Also, we're in our 4th year, with the majority in year 2-4 of playing. I think that we have a good group and there will always be 1 or 2 new teams as people lives change for whatever reasons. So I'd be in favor of keeping more of my hard work continuing from year to year instead of losing key players I drafted, picked up off waivers or traded for. Hopefully everyone will chime in through out the season.

Johnny is doing a great job as LM and I'm proud to be in this league!

speaking of prospect keeper, I had trout the first time he came up 2 seasons ago and it would have been nice last year, but then again I didnt take risk by drafting him :-/ last year.

It would be nice if we could develop a "Franchise Mode" ala MLB The Show..... develop prospects.... but with rules to eliminate player hoarding....

Wow, the Red birds have choked in the 9th...8 runs so far. The boo birds are filling the air right now! Your welcome St. Louis.

FWIW I'm happy with the format (but you all know I'm not a knowledgable/ experienced fantasy player)... The luck certainly went my way in matchup 1- no injuries and some above average performances. I'm sure my luck will change...

As for keepers and draft- I didn't need / want all my keeper slots this time, and I doubt I'll ever do a live draft with the time difference, but that's just me.

MM

For me, I think I'm more prone to lock in a prospect or two for a couple reasons. One is that we're only just starting to come out of the juice era. The steroids have tainted the game, and I think that I'm hoping that the new crop will bring in new, untainted talent. Another reason is I think it's a current mets fan mentality that we're betting on young talent for our future.

As for keepers, I think that the site limits us to 7 keepers per team. I could be wrong though, and I'll check when I'm not at work. (funny that work will block a sports related page, but not one on homebrewing - could be because the IT person is a beer lover, and I've brought her homebrew on occasion).

Anyone notice a difference in scoring so far with the changes we've made? My hopes are on no, because that would mean the changes made sense.

This being my first year, I'm starting to get used to the format. Pretty user friendly on the computer but the app takes more getting used to for me. The only thing I see that it's missing, or thsat I haven't found, is some sort of "notes page". In my Yahoo league there is a place to keep notes. I like making notes about certain players I maybe watching and why I'm watching them, players I may want to drop after a certain date. etc...But, I am very OCD and make a lot of notes, so maybe it's just me.

My only complaint...sure wish I had been able to participate in the draft! ha

I use this awesome program for notes. Assuming that you use a Windows platform computer, go to your start menu, then select "All Programs" -> "Accessories" -> "Notepad"

:tank:

bosoxdave said:
I use this awesome program for notes. Assuming that you use a Windows platform computer, go to your start menu, then select "All Programs" -> "Accessories" -> "Notepad"

Or an actual notepad!!! :tank:

bosoxdave said:

jump_xiii said:
Or an actual notepad!!! :tank:

Bwahahaha i dont always have a notepad or computer though. I always have a phone or tablet and i use the app more than the computer.

So for those of you that don't know, I am a True Blue Dodger fan(as is Alfred-IPA Junkies, and David-Carson Urban Achievers) JohnnyO asked me to take some pics of the Dodger Stadium improvements. I did take some from the Lodge(middle deck) and Field Deck during the games I went to opening week. However,one of my favorite local Dodger blogger(Vince Scully is my Homeboy) shot a nice set of Dodger Stadium from the Reserve(upper deck) when there wasnt a game going on, so you can see the details.

Here's the link to the picture set. I will add a few as well. http://www.flickr.com/photos/rbaly79/sets/72157633175652488/

8623590276_0bc96dd923_z.jpg

8623421972_6c876412f7_z.jpg

Dodger Stadium is now the 3rd oldest ballpark in baseball. She sits on 330 acres of PRIME real estate in the hills surrounding downtown LA that is called Elysian Hills. She has beautiful sight lines and sunsets...A symbol of symmetry lost with todays "modern" asymmetrical ball parks. Check this out for more info http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dodger_Stadium

I just read that the NHL and MLB are planning on hosting an exhibition game between the Ducks and Kings at Dodger Stadium next January! Gonna be a great birthday present to me.

fa_601_stadium77aerial970.jpg

fa_11_65dodgers970.jpg

s_n40_20307014.jpg

My keepers have been sucking it up big time for me so far this year:

- Posey, Hamilton, Upton (B.J.), and Cain have all disappointed so far.

- Hanley Ramirez has been injured and Ian Kennedy has been merely average.

My only keep who has been above average has been Pedroia.

Thank god for Michael Morse and Daniel Murphy or I'd be in even worse shape....

My keepers have been sucking it up big time for me so far this year:

- Posey, Hamilton, Upton (B.J.), and Cain have all disappointed so far.

- Hanley Ramirez has been injured and Ian Kennedy has been merely average.

My only keep who has been above average has been Pedroia.

Thank god for Michael Morse and Daniel Murphy or I'd be in even worse shape....

I didnt keep my 7 and let go of Bumgardner and Morse which looks like a mistake...luckily I drafted Ogando and Hellickson, so hopefully that makes up for it...

MMTG said:
I didnt keep my 7 and let go of Bumgardner and Morse which looks like a mistake...luckily I drafted Ogando and Hellickson, so hopefully that makes up for it...

Bumgarner has been good for me...

MMTG, that first pic is awesome! I love the way the filed looks with the LA mowed into it. Another reason to love baseball!

Thanks! I still think St. Louis has the best field/turf decoration...the Gateway Arch is awesome.

Yeah, that is a beautiful stadium. I think I like the ultra-mod scoreboards the most. They add so much character.

Hope to get out there some day. Thanks for posting the pics, Othon.

Yeah, that is a beautiful stadium. I think I like the ultra-mod scoreboards the most. They add so much character.

Hope to get out there some day. Thanks for posting the pics, Othon.

I got tickets for you and your son when you come out Johnny!

Home opener for the Frisco Rough Riders. Rangers AA club. My first of 3 games in the next 4 days! God i love baseball!

Be sure to bring some lube. Sounds "chaf-y"

Othon, care to make a wager for next week's matchup? Local sixer? Some homebrew?

Be sure to bring some lube. Sounds "chaf-y"

Othon, care to make a wager for next week's matchup? Local sixer? Some homebrew?

Local sixer sounds good Johnny! On a side note, Fawk Carlos crybaby Quentin! He its on the damn plate and bitches when he gets hit? Take your base or back off the dish. Now Grienke has a broken clavicle. A J Ellis should have dropped quentins dick in the dirt before he ever made it to the mound.

Vent over.

Local sixer sounds good Johnny! On a side note, Fawk Carlos crybaby Quentin! He its on the damn plate and bitches when he gets hit? Take your base or back off the dish. Now Grienke has a broken clavicle. A J Ellis should have dropped quentins dick in the dirt before he ever made it to the mound.

Vent over.

Pisses me off too! Now I am without one of my keepers for 1-3 months.

Johnny,

What's up with Lin Lindsey? I am pretty sure that s/he did not set keepers, was autodrafted, and clearly has not touched their team yet this season. Can we give that team up before the season is gone?

Dave

Quentin was way out of line...still he'll probably only face a 8 - 10 game suspension while the Dodgers are going be without Greinke for at least three months. Fortunately the broken collar bone was on his non-throwing arm but it takes a while to recover.

Vent over.

That sounds great, O. Local sixer it is. Senders choice, or figure out after next week?

Sorry about greinke. I was not surprised though. He strikes me as someone who needs a slap every so often.

Pisses me off too! Now I am without one of my keepers for 1-3 months.

Johnny,

What's up with Lin Lindsey? I am pretty sure that s/he did not set keepers, was autodrafted, and clearly has not touched their team yet this season. Can we give that team up before the season is gone?

Dave

Thanks Dave. I'll check in with him.

Im no fantasy expert nor am i a baseball expert, i just love both. But, can someone explain the thought behind trading a productive player for a player that is on the DL? Just curious.

Im no fantasy expert nor am i a baseball expert, i just love both. But, can someone explain the thought behind trading a productive player for a player that is on the DL? Just curious.

You are operating on the belief that when that player returns, he will provide more value than the person that you are trading plus the time missed.

bosdave said:
You are operating on the belief that when that player returns, he will provide more value than the person that you are trading plus the time missed.

This was my assumption. It's a gamble but that's what it's all about. I see that we have 2 roster spots designated as DL. Does that mean you can add a player that is on the DL or is it reserved for an existing player only?

Big Risk/Reward for me trading Panda(3B) for HanRam(3B,SS) trust me I know. My reasoning is similar to what BoSox Dave is thinking with this addition-I hate the Giants and have a hard time rooting for Sandoval(even though I like him as a ballplayer)also to acquire a player like Hanley I had to give up someone with equal production value. I don't insult people with bull sheet trade propositions, not my style...

I have Machado(3B)Carpenter(OF,3B,1B and soon 2B) and Cruz(3B,SS) who are all part of very productive lineups and my team is way better with A HEALTHY HanRam than without-hopefully he comes back swinging hard.

I believe you can add a player who is on the DL but you have to have an open active roster spot to add initially and THEN move him to the DL. You can't add straight to DL.

Makes sense to me. I just thought i would ask. I'm digging playing in this league so far, so thanks again Johnny. Doesnt hurt that im having an fantastic week either! Ha

On a completely unrelated note- and sorry if this is considered off topic- but I brewed a SMASH beer today. All pale malt and challenger. What about you guys?

Makes sense to me. I just thought i would ask. I'm digging playing in this league so far, so thanks again Johnny. Doesnt hurt that im having an fantastic week either! Ha

Good to have you aboard!

On a completely unrelated note- and sorry if this is considered off topic- but I brewed a SMASH beer today. All pale malt and challenger. What about you guys?

How. Dare. You?
lol

Brewed last weekend. 10 gallons of pale ale using simcoe and Amarillo.

Back