Too Much Citrus Flavor?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

natelindner

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'll be making a blonde ale in preparation for summer. I'm looking for some nice citrus undertones just to give it a little character but not to be dominant in the taste profile. For that reason I've decided to boil the zest of about half a grapefruit during the last five minutes of the boil. I also wanted to use centennial and cascade or amarillo hops but I'm afraid that citrus zest in combination with citrusy hops will make the beer too citrusy. I am not finished designing a recipe but here is an outline: Also if you have any suggestions for hops please let me know

80% two row
15% white wheat
5% honey malt

Want to use centennial for bittering, and either cascade or amarillo for aroma to get around 20 IBU

Intended OG: 1.05

Wyeast American Ale II

Personally, I'd just go with your hop combo. Let it ferment out and then taste it. If it isn't citrusy enough for you at that point, you can soak the zest in some vodka and then toss that in the fermenter. Taste every day and then package when it hits the flavor profile you want.

Back