wlp002 stopped @2 days. Stir?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m3n00b

Reaction score
I pitched a 1.2l starter into my Newcastle brown ale clone on Sunday. This morning there was 0 pressure in the airlock.

Og was 1.048. Today SG was 1.018. The sample tasted OK and was crystal clear. Should I stir up the trub since it flocc'd out? Temp has been 66-68.

Don't do anything.

RDWHAB

It's fine.

Wait a week and take another gravity reading. It's not done yet. The airlock doesn't mean anything.

Thanks guys! After I took the hydro sample and put the carboy cap back on soaked in star san I'm seeing more bubbling. I think it might have been a bad seal. I won't stir.

What are some possible side effects of stirring your primary? I dry hopped an IPA while the hop pellets were frozen, they sank to the bottom pretty much immediately, I got nervous and stirred the primary to get them roused and to break them up. Any idea what stirring does to the yeast and to the beer (the beer was in the primary for about 10 days at that point).

Don't stir, but if you were expecting a lower gravity, you can try raising the ferm temp a few degrees and GENTLY swirling the vessel to kick the yeast back up. At most though you're only going to shave a few more points off, and it might slowly finish up on it's own anyway...though I DO always raise my temp a few degrees near the end, anyway. I don't know if I'd call 1.018 close to being done in every beer, but that depends on the recipe, mash temp, etc.

Back