Starter or no Starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vlint

Reaction score
I'm doing my first yeast growth from a dreg. I've stepped it up to 1.6L and now it's cold crashing. After I decant the wort, should do a yeast starter to pitch or pitch as is?

I would wait and see how much yeast you actually have. If it looks like more than you would get in a fresh vial or packet, you should be good. If it looks a little shy, build it up again.

This all depends of course on what you are brewing. A huge beer will of course require a huge amount of yeast.

I'm brewing a 1.055 beer so it definitely looks like I have enough compared to a vial or packet. My concern is will the yeast be ready to ferment once I bring the cold decanted yeast back to room/fermenting temperature. Thanks

Yes, as long as only a couple of days have passed. I asked a similar question a while ago and the responses seemed to be "pitch within a couple of days of cold crashing and you are fine. Make another starter if its more than that"

Back