question about my strawberry wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
its my first batch of anything and im already unsure about it.
its on day 3 of the primary fermentation and everytime i open the bucket to stir (which i do daily as per instruction) there is a layer of dried film an inch thick on top. it quickly dissolves when i stir it in but is ever present the next day. i juiced the strawberries in a food processor and floated the pulp in the bucket with a nylon bag. i did mess up and pitch the wine yeast in without pre-activating it. its a 2gal batch with 8 lbs of strawberries, 4 lbs of corn sugar, and 2 lbs of spring water. (as well as all the other ingredients from the recipe book). I couldnt find anything about the dry film online, could it indicate contamination? also, according to my portions of ingredients could anyone guesstimate my ABV%?
any advice or criticism is appreciated.

OLDsheepHumper said:
its my first batch of anything and im already unsure about it.
its on day 3 of the primary fermentation and everytime i open the bucket to stir (which i do daily as per instruction) there is a layer of dried film an inch thick on top. it quickly dissolves when i stir it in but is ever present the next day. i juiced the strawberries in a food processor and floated the pulp in the bucket with a nylon bag. i did mess up and pitch the wine yeast in without pre-activating it. its a 2gal batch with 8 lbs of strawberries, 4 lbs of corn sugar, and 2 lbs of spring water. (as well as all the other ingredients from the recipe book). I couldnt find anything about the dry film online, could it indicate contamination? also, according to my portions of ingredients could anyone guesstimate my ABV%?
any advice or criticism is appreciated.

My guess it is foam that is making a layer on top and the bubbles dry out a bit.

Keep stirring it daily. How does it smell?

My guess you'll be around 11% ABV.

I'm doing strawberry wine to.

Nothing to worry about mine had a thick froth on top too, top bubbles looked a bit like bath scum! But passed that stage now :)

still smells fairly good. kind of like strawberry margarita and still a fairly dark shade of red as opposed to that pink hue im used to seeing. after seeing the expensive strawberries i used for the batch i already have people clawing at me for a bottle. thx for the support, ill try not to disappoint.

Back