Bad Crush on grain?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guitarmikeb

Reaction score
Yesterday I bought grain from the LHBS and had them crush it there using their mill as I don't have my own. I bought over 20 lbs of grain to do two separate batches this weekend. I brewed the first batch last night and my efficiency was wayyy low at 56% (according to beer smith and my gravity readings). Now, I have access to a mill at a friends house that I've used before. Can I take the grain for my second batch over there and run it through his mill to get a better crush? Am I flirting with disaster here? I've brewed batches where my grains were crushed in his mill and gotten efficiency as high as 85% with no stuck sparges. So, I think my mash/sparge process is ok. I just don't want to brew this next batch and have it be low on efficiency and ABV. Thoughts?

For about $30 you can get a Corona style mill and do your own and never be at the mercy of the LHBS for crush quality. Adjust it until you are satisfied with the crush and lock it there.

Back