smaller beers are better for learning unless

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

morganamps

Reaction score
Smaller beers are better for learining on unless you have better than average patience.

I love drinking big beers. Anything over 8% usually makes me a happy camper.

My first beer should have been a 6% Belgian Wit, I screwed up the boil and ended up with a bitter 9% belgian something. It tasted aweful and always seemed flat.

My second beer was a 5% American Red Ale. brew to mouth was 4 weeks and it tasted amazing and was carbed up just fine. I killed the two cases by myself in about a week... I really ment to share them with friends but....

Third beer was a DIPA....... been waiting for it to carb for a month now... still really flat.

Forth beer was a 5% california common. 4 weeks and KILLER taste/carb/feel.

5th beer was a belgian strong 9%..... yeah still waiting.

after 4 months the first beer i brewed is finally tasting good and is fully carbed.

What I have learned from this is that I wished I would have started with the smaller beers. They will give you quicker feedback to your process and allow you to critique your mistakes faster. they also allow you to enjoy the fruits of your labor quicker...... delayed gratification is awesome but I'd rather have something to drink while I wait.

I see what you're saying, but it goes the other way for me...
A big, hoppy beer can conceal a lot of mistakes... Just need to pitch enough yeast... Like you say, the waiting draws out the process, but at least it helps me learn to be patient

You are both right.

I would say brew a stout first (however strong) A stout is drinkable DAY 1. would it be better month 4? Absolutely, but if you are gonna drink something it might as well be good.

Then again.....maybe it is best to learn the "green beer" lesson well when a noob.

I learned on english ales, mostly bitters and milds, they were ready within a month easily, now that I keg I can have one served about a week and a half after brewing. For learning I think small beers are better because they show more differences (mistakes) Big beers on the other hand, well I've sat on a batch of porter for 8 months before it turned out good, but it seems they all eventually do.

Back