why did my keg empty into the bottom of my keezer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fredderick

Reaction score
I know the title sounds like the beginning of a joke but it's true.

I had 4 kegs hooked up and I hooked a 5th keg up and a week or two later I looked in the bottom of my keezer to find the 5th keg had completely emptied into the bottom.

There was obviously a leak someplace bit just curious where and how to find it.

My co2 tank ran out but I assume it was because I had a leak in the beer line and it just emptied the whole keg and the rest of the co2 tank.

I don't even know where to begin to trouble shoot the possible leak. Is it in the keg, in the beer line, at the nipple shank... How do I know?

Swap the beer line with one of your other kegs. If that one doesn't leak beer, the problem is most likely a bad O-ring on the Out post.

A much less likely (but not unheard of) cause would be a hole in the keg. The easiest way to eliminate that is to put enough water in the bathtub that you can sink the various surfaces of the keg a few inches deep while hooked up to CO2, and look for bubbles...

Cheers!

I've had the same thing happen twice!

One was a picnic tap that got squeezed in the open position between the lid and a keg on my system.

Second was my bro's system where his wife or me? let the picnic tap get squeezed between the lid and a keg.

Anyway it's always sad to lose beer, so be careful if you do have picnic taps.

Do you have picnic taps?

I know the title sounds like the beginning of a joke but it's true.

I had 4 kegs hooked up and I hooked a 5th keg up and a week or two later I looked in the bottom of my keezer to find the 5th keg had completely emptied into the bottom.

There was obviously a leak someplace bit just curious where and how to find it.

My co2 tank ran out but I assume it was because I had a leak in the beer line and it just emptied the whole keg and the rest of the co2 tank.

I don't even know where to begin to trouble shoot the possible leak. Is it in the keg, in the beer line, at the nipple shank... How do I know?

Swap the beer line with one of your other kegs. If that one doesn't leak beer, the problem is most likely a bad O-ring on the Out post.

A much less likely (but not unheard of) cause would be a hole in the keg. The easiest way to eliminate that is to put enough water in the bathtub that you can sink the various surfaces of the keg a few inches deep while hooked up to CO2, and look for bubbles...

Cheers!

Thanks for the input! I will try those two suggestions... Both sound plausible

Bummer! I recently lost my first 5 gallons of beer. broke a full fermentor. I bumped a co2 tank into a 6.5 gallon glass carboy full of IPA! Beer and glass everywhere! :mad:

i had a slow leak on the shank nipple that I noticed today. Probably only lost a total of 2 pints, but still a loss. I thought I had it tightened down well and had keg lube on the threads of the MFL.

I got a picnic tap in the mail that wasn't fully screwed in.

I've got at least 3 kegs with leaky poppets.

Try filling the keg back up with water when you get some co2 and just keep an eye on it.

I got a picnic tap in the mail that wasn't fully screwed in.

I've got at least 3 kegs with leaky poppets.

Try filling the keg back up with water when you get some co2 and just keep an eye on it.

Great idea... Will do that... I got co2 yesterday... Thanks again everyone

I had this happen for the first time not too long ago. I had just replaced the poppet due to a leak that new orings couldn't fix. It was very stiff and difficult to get the ball lock connector on. I forgot about that when I tapped it and the connector was only 3/4 on. next morning///boom 5 gallons on the bottom of the freezer. Luckily in my case it was only half of the 10 gallon batch, still hurt though.

Back