The latest chapter in my life

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KayaBrew

Reaction score
I'm not looking for attention, really. I feel a little silly posting this here, but I've made a few "friends" here on HBT over the years, and had my share of laughs and whatnot and a lot of folks here deserve to know (and would want to know) what I've got on my plate right now. So if you have the time or the interest, check out the blog my wife started about me, and feel free to subscribe, comment or just lurk. We will update often. Thanks!

http://stupidtumor.blogspot.com/

Okay, I lied. I need attention!! (J/K) :ban:

Can anyone relate, or does anyone have any words of wisdom?

No doubt you'll over come this obstacle. When this is long behind you and you're tipping back a few brews, you'll have the undeniable satisfaction of being amazed at who you are, what you've dealt with, and with what you defeated.

Best of luck to you and yours. Thoughts and prayers are with you.

I don't know you, but best of luck. We'll say a prayer for you tonight and have you in our thoughts these coming weeks.

Scary situation for sure,

I had a friend with "incurable" leukemia and he beat it for the past 15 years. Looks like you got good people to take care of you and that will help with the healing. Lots of good times & brews to come for you so keep your head up.

Best,

Damn. Sorry to hear that. I don't have much for personal experience, except for a coworker and good friend. I've been working with this guy for the past 6 years, currently in his 50s. A few months ago, he didn't show up for work. We found out at work that over our week off, he was diagnosed with multiple brain tumors. He had been losing vision in one or both eyes, losing his balance and orientation, and sometimes even momentarily forgetting how to speak. Over the next couple weeks we learned that one of them is inoperable, it's more or less in the center mass of his brain. Needless to say, he has been given an early retirement.

It is unbelievably unfortunate, this guy was still full of life and had so much more to contribute to all of our lives and it had to end this way. The overall prognosis isn't very good for him so now it's a matter of making him comfortable.

To have something like this happen is tragic at best. I'll be keeping you in my thoughts, sending some good karma your way. Make a quick recovery and get back to brewing the good life. :mug:

Hearing from close friends and family means a lot. Hearing from all you folks on HBT means even more. Just knowing that there are still people in the world who are compassionate and care about total strangers give me hope for humanity. ;)

Surgery is on May 3rd, I have 4 days to drink up my stash of Heady Topper and my own Double Simcoe IPA. Check it out:

Simcoe IPA Copy
14-B American IPA
Author: Marc L.
Date: 3/1/13

Size: 5.25 gal
Efficiency: 68.8%
Attenuation: 77.3%
Calories: 219.65 kcal per 12.0 fl oz

Original Gravity: 1.066 (1.056 - 1.075)
Terminal Gravity: 1.015 (1.010 - 1.018)
Color: 11.74 (6.0 - 15.0)
Alcohol: 6.71% (5.5% - 7.5%)
Bitterness: 90.5 (40.0 - 70.0)

Ingredients:
11 lb 2-Row Brewers Malt
2 lb Vienna Malt
.5 lb Cara-Pils® Malt
1 lb Crystal Malt 40°L
2 tsp Ferm-Cap S - added during boil, boiled 60 min
1 ea Whirlfloc Tablets (Irish moss) - added during boil, boiled 10 min
1 oz Simcoe (13.5%) - added during boil, boiled 15 min
3 oz Simcoe (13.5%) - added during boil, boiled 10 min
1 oz Simcoe (13.5%) - added during boil, boiled 5 min
1 oz Simcoe (13.5%) - added during boil, boiled 0 min
1 ea Fermentis US-05 Safale US-05

Schedule:
Ambient Air: 70.0 °F
Source Water: 60.0 °F
Elevation: 0.0 m

00:05:00 Mash In - Liquor: 5.0 gal; Strike: 169.78 °F; Target: 152 °F
01:05:00 Rest - Rest: 60 min; Final: 150.1 °F
01:05:00 Sparge - First runnings: 0.0 gal sparge @ 168.0 °F, 0.0 min; Sparge #1: 4.47 gal sparge @ 195.0 °F, 0.0 min; Total Runoff: 7.62 gal

Notes
bottle on 3/22 w/ 131g corn sugar

Results generated by BeerTools Pro 1.5.3

Best of luck! I'm not a doctor or anything, but I think your humorous attitude and approach to this will help a great deal! Cheers to a speedy recovery!

Hearing from close friends and family means a lot. Hearing from all you folks on HBT means even more. Just knowing that there are still people in the world who are compassionate and care about total strangers give me hope for humanity. ;)

Surgery is on May 3rd, I have 4 days to drink up my stash of Heady Topper and my own Double Simcoe IPA. Check it out:

Simcoe IPA Copy
14-B American IPA
Author: Marc L.
Date: 3/1/13

Size: 5.25 gal
Efficiency: 68.8%
Attenuation: 77.3%
Calories: 219.65 kcal per 12.0 fl oz

Original Gravity: 1.066 (1.056 - 1.075)
Terminal Gravity: 1.015 (1.010 - 1.018)
Color: 11.74 (6.0 - 15.0)
Alcohol: 6.71% (5.5% - 7.5%)
Bitterness: 90.5 (40.0 - 70.0)

Ingredients:
11 lb 2-Row Brewers Malt
2 lb Vienna Malt
.5 lb Cara-Pils® Malt
1 lb Crystal Malt 40°L
2 tsp Ferm-Cap S - added during boil, boiled 60 min
1 ea Whirlfloc Tablets (Irish moss) - added during boil, boiled 10 min
1 oz Simcoe (13.5%) - added during boil, boiled 15 min
3 oz Simcoe (13.5%) - added during boil, boiled 10 min
1 oz Simcoe (13.5%) - added during boil, boiled 5 min
1 oz Simcoe (13.5%) - added during boil, boiled 0 min
1 ea Fermentis US-05 Safale US-05

Schedule:
Ambient Air: 70.0 °F
Source Water: 60.0 °F
Elevation: 0.0 m

00:05:00 Mash In - Liquor: 5.0 gal; Strike: 169.78 °F; Target: 152 °F
01:05:00 Rest - Rest: 60 min; Final: 150.1 °F
01:05:00 Sparge - First runnings: 0.0 gal sparge @ 168.0 °F, 0.0 min; Sparge #1: 4.47 gal sparge @ 195.0 °F, 0.0 min; Total Runoff: 7.62 gal

Notes
bottle on 3/22 w/ 131g corn sugar

Results generated by BeerTools Pro 1.5.3

Oh, that sounds SOOOOOOO good. It's probably a good thing that I'm not closer to your area, as I would definitely stop by to drink your be.....um, I mean stop by to visit you and bring you a card or something. :D

This is going to sound weird, but I really count my "imaginary friends" as friends, and I hope that you really do count us as people who do care about you and can be supportive of you in our not-real-friends-in-real-life-friends kind of way.

We can keep you in our thoughts, and our prayers (for the praying types) and generally be caring even though we're far away. Sort of like family who care, but don't see you very often.

Let us know if there is anything you want from us, including moral support. We're pretty good at that.

Thanks. Everyone has been commenting on my positive attitude. But think about it...how am supposed to act? The tumor is there, and it has to come out, bottom line. Once it does, we'll see what happens next. For now, I'm feelin' pretty goddamn good!

Anyways, I agree with you, Lorena. The friends I have here on HBT are real, such as yourself, Creamy Goodness, CheezyDemon, Pappers, et. al.

Thanks. Everyone has been commenting on my positive attitude. But think about it...how am supposed to act? The tumor is there, and it has to come out, bottom line. Once it does, we'll see what happens next. For now, I'm feelin' pretty goddamn good!

Anyways, I agree with you, Lorena. The friends I have here on HBT are real, such as yourself, Creamy Goodness, CheezyDemon, Pappers, et. al.

Even Creamy??

You better get that brain surgery ASAP! :D

Just picking on Creamy. Praying you will be up and at 'em in no time!

Even Creamy??

You better get that brain surgery ASAP! :D

Just picking on Creamy. Praying you will be up and at 'em in no time!

You're on that list, too, Homer. I couldn't name everyone here...that would take forever hence the "et. al."

Good luck today Marc, you'll be back brewing in no time.

In the meantime, kick back and put the Big Lebowski on the tube while you recuperate. Your doctor is a good man, and thorough.

Hang in there, dude. The pain will get better. I'd had brain surgery about a year and a half ago when some weak spots in my inner ear were allowing my brain to ooze through them into my inner ear canal. I know it doesn't compare to a tumor but, they did have to completely remove my right inner ear, open up my skull, lift up the brain, remove the dead brain tissue and then patch me back together.

If your Wife is reading this, I know the pain is bad but the meds, while not stopping it completely, will put it in a more manageable place. Watch the anti-seizure medications as they can cause some pretty disturbing dreams and restlessness.

Marc's a better man than I. I told my wife about how he didnt complain after the surgery about the pain. She reminded me, unnecessarily, about how I complain when I have bad gas, never mind major surgery.

Just got caught up on the tumorog (is that a word? well, it is one now.). I am happy to hear that he is on the mend and the persistant pain seems to have abated. Keep hanging in there.

The Dude Abides. Words that have served me well.

Back