Toss Yeast or Re-try Starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeyLXT

Reaction score
I made a starter from some yeast slurry on Wednesday. The Light DME that I used was rather old but I still assumed that it would be ok for a starter. Well I added 1500 ml of water and 150g of DME. During my short boil it did hot break, foam up, etc as normal. However when I poured the wort into my flask I noticed it was much darker then it should have been (color was way off) but I didn't think it would effect a basic starter.

2 days later there were still no visible signs of fermentation. I put the flask in the refrigerator this morning. Is it worth it to let the yeast settle out, pour off all the liquid, and make another starter with new DME? Or should I just toss the yeast all together.

It is a strain I got from the Flying Dog brewery so i would like to save it if possible.

Were you using a stir plate or intermittent shaking for your starter? With a stir plate visible signs of fermentation are not always apparent becaues of the constant movemnet of the wort.

I was using a stir plate.

Gravity reading sounds like the logical idea...of course i never thought of it lol.

Back