My Brew Shed in the works, guidance needed.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian4x4

Reaction score
Hello fellow brewers!
I decided to turn my shed into a brew house.
This will be a summer project, but I am planning and buying materials now.

This is my shed..

IMG_20111016_170023-1.jpg

I am planning my own version of the Brutus Ten build from the November 2007 issue of brew your own.

I am trying to gather all the stuff I need but I have questions about a few things, and could use so input..
This maybe a lengthy read and a lot of my inner thoughts. (LOL) but I could really use the help/ guidance with this build to do it right.

Here is my plan so you can see where I am at and need help.
Here is my vision.

I am going to have a electrician friend help me wire my shed.
Wired with a ceiling light and a few wall plugs.

Custom 3 burner brew stand (I weld using my mig welder)
Still deciding on what burners to use.
Also I need LOTs of input on safety of running burners inside a shed.
My plan was to have vent taking steam out and then keep door open so I don't pass out. lol ok well . you know what I mean.
I had a thought to add 2 windows to it for light and maybe more vents if needed.

3 Keggle system as I have 3 kegs already.

I want to buy this nice Stainless steel hop spider I found to try to keep the hops out of plate chiller and fermentor.

Some kind of hood vent to suck moisture from the room.
(I need help on this.)
Thinking of some kind of rectangle galvanized duct with fan and pipe going out back upper shed wall.

March pumps, need 2 not sure what the best value is on these is. Any help in my purchase is appreciated. (keeping lowest cost/best value/ best quality for that value in mind)

I need 2 temp controllers as the Brutus used 2 LOVE controllers.
But I made my own temp controlled fermentor and used a STC-1000 temp controller from HK and it works great. So I wonder if I could use 2 of those instead to save over 100$???

Insulate walls build shelves.

I want to buy a plate chiller and see tons on ebay at good deals but not sure which ones are good.
I like the ones that have the fittings I want on them already so i don't have to buy additional fittings.

I have been reading a lot about chilling and idea's and have a few questions.
If I use a plate chiller and re-circulate the wort through the chiller (I want to put the chiller in ice bath and pump ice water through it as well) how will the temp of the boil pot effect the cooling. (also trying to leave the cold break in the kettle not fermentor)
I tried to cool my keg batch once before with using immersion chiller and the kegs metal was so hot for so long it took forever to cool. So after that day i pick up the whole keg and put in a Tupperware full of ware and ice to cool the keg then my immersion chiller worked better... Will using a plate chiller and recirculating the wort back into the kettle cool the metal kettle as well?

I am really excited and motivated on this custom brew house so any input is appreciated.

My final goad is to escape to man brew town and have a fun time brewing.

I have a upright TRUE RC COLA refrigerator I use as a temp controlled fermenting chamber I plan on putting out in the shed.
I envision cool beer posters and hot girl calenders.
I want to incorporate this mini fridge I have with some brews in it.
A TV (probably just one of my old tube TV's that no one uses anymore lol)
I want to get a HDTV antenna and just use that as well. (I don't pay for cable it costs too much) So I can at least use that to brew on gameday's :mug:

Like I said really excited about this and that's why I am reaching to all you homebrew pros for help.

thanks all!

Brian

Hot and cold running water?

I have cold water coming off my house and I plan on piping a hot water faucet right next to it for beer brewing cleanup and anything else.

I guess I will be walking back and forth to that because I do not see a easy way to pipe that to my shed..

unless you know of a way, please share.

If you can just get cold water to the shed you could put in a small tankless water heater

If you build it. They will come.

How big is the lawn mower shed? Maybe you already did this. Draw on a paper to scale what you're cramming in the shed. Then you can have an idea how much room you'll have left to pack your body and brew friends in. Three burners? Where are you placing the tank, outside? Water line, sink, filters, RO system? No heat. They'll freeze in the winter, unless drained. Waste water? Where will you be dumping sanitizer after cleaning stuff?

You need lots of input on safety of using gas fired equipment? There's more to it than CO. Do you have experience with installing electric gas valves, pilot assemblies, safeties, gas piping, the controls and the wiring it takes in order to build a system that won't blow you up? If you're hooked on the Brutus, follow what the builder of that system does and use the components he uses..... Here's the deal. It takes 1 sq. in. per 1K BTU for combustion air. A 200K burner needs an opening 200 sq. in. Opening the door or a window will work. Your door swings in so you'll lose some room when it's open. Here's the other deal. If you buy hi pressure 200K burners and crank them up. The flame will go up the sides of the kettle. You may want to keep the back of the brew stand away from the wall, just in case.

For exhaust, whatever you take out of the room, you need to put back in. Open the window or door for make up air. An exhaust hood over a 200 K BTU steam kettle uses an exhaust rate of 150-200 CFM per sq. ft of hood area. For reference. A bathroom fart fan is 60 CFM, a residential stove exhaust hood is 200-600 CFM. Size the fan and duct work to be large enough to remove the heat off the kettles and exhaust off the fired burners.

"Will using a plate chiller and recirculating the wort back into the kettle cool the metal kettle as well?" Wow!... Hot travels to cold. The reason the kettle stayed hot for so long is that you own a small IC chiller. The kettle walls were extracting heat from the liquid. Thus, making the walls hot. Of course, the chiller will cool the kettle. Think of it this way. You may be boiling 12 or more gallons of wort. That's over 100 pounds of liquid, that you want to take from 212 to pitching temp in a reasonable time frame. Heat gain and heat loss are calculated using BTU/Hr. Here's the caveat. Once the wort temp drops lower than the room temp. The chiller will need to extract the heat gain added by the ambient. Remember, hot moves to cold. That's why some things are insulated. Are we down with that? I use a 40 plate chiller using 3 GPM flow on the process side. Cooling 13 gallons. I don't run the cooled wort back through the boiler. It goes right into the conical. The longer the wort is above 140-160, DMS will re-form. To me a hop spider is an arachnid. I use a hop blocker and a hop back upstream of the chiller and whirlpool. The chiller has never clogged in the 7 or so years I have used it. A lot of wort has gone through it. I don't bake it in the oven, nor, toss it in an ice bath. I have never unbolted it from the frame. I backflush a few times, recirc 180 degree PBW, opposite the flow and flush it out with fresh water, boom, done.

ok yeah water to the shed is a no go, it would freeze and I am not dealing with that. I have no problem walking to my bathtub for water with my 5 gallon bucket.
The external hot water line will come in hand to me for cleaning. and in the summer I will probably leave the hose run to the shed and connect it when brewing...

My shed is pretty huge like 15x12 i think.
I plan to have brew stand on right side and fridge and cabinets, counters, and storage on other side.

I am definitely doing this project and i want it done right not half A$$ed I dont do anything half way...

I like all your input here!
some stuff I didnt know!

as of now I brew in winter in garage with door open and jacket on lol.
so in winter in brew shed I plan to leave door and new window open and have vent fan on. lots of cfm sucking power and nice ducting.

i found out by asking on here that my fermenting chamber will be fine in the winter with my heater running inside it so thats nice.

I will have electric running to shed.

pipe out steam, and vent in fresh air..

I plan to follow the brutus to a "T" with the controls and shut offs an burners and pilots.

I do plan to run my own pipes though and not use the sealed metal frame to hold my gas.

Beer brewing is still new to me since last year at this time and I have come so far.

ok yeah water to the shed is a no go, it would freeze and I am not dealing with that. I have no problem walking to my bathtub for water with my 5 gallon bucket.
The external hot water line will come in hand to me for cleaning. and in the summer I will probably leave the hose run to the shed and connect it when brewing...

My shed is pretty huge like 15x12 i think.
I plan to have brew stand on right side and fridge and cabinets, counters, and storage on other side.

I am definitely doing this project and i want it done right not half A$$ed I dont do anything half way...

I like all your input here!
some stuff I didnt know!

as of now I brew in winter in garage with door open and jacket on lol.
so in winter in brew shed I plan to leave door and new window open and have vent fan on. lots of cfm sucking power and nice ducting.

i found out by asking on here that my fermenting chamber will be fine in the winter with my heater running inside it so thats nice.

I will have electric running to shed.

pipe out steam, and vent in fresh air..

I plan to follow the brutus to a "T" with the controls and shut offs an burners and pilots.

I do plan to run my own pipes though and not use the sealed metal frame to hold my gas.

Beer brewing is still new to me since last year at this time and I have come so far.

It is like a wicked fun hobby / obsession.

Here is what I plan to do with my shed..

1_zps781a8d9f.jpg

I want to build this (and maybe even expand over time) to make my brew life easier.
ever since going to all grain i like beer taste better and price is lower. extract is by far easier and take me way less time.
So I want to make my all grain experiences even easier.
I do still brew extract if I have money for it and less time to play.

I wish my inside stove was larger (ceramic top electric GE burner. ugh) then I could brew more indoors...

IMO, not having water out there during the winter is "half A$$ed".

IMO, not having water out there during the winter is "half A$$ed".

I guess I see your point and agree.... But I have no clue how to get water to my shed, or how much it would cost. I believe it would be expensive and maybe something to look forward to in the future..

I know I am trying to make my life easier having all my stuff in 1 place.
I know having to walk to my house to get buckets of water is going to be a pain.
I know I just had to do it today (Brewing now in my garage.)

So how does one get water to a shed?
Run pipes under ground below the frost line?

So how does one get water to a shed?
Run pipes under ground below the frost line?

Yes. You can rent a machine to dig a trench and just bury plastic pipe. Really shouldn't cost more than a couple hundred dollars.

If you want to do a semi half a$$ed way of doing it, you can run a fresh water hose from your house to a connection in the shed, maybe a sink. That way you can drain the hose when not in use. It would also have a shut of in the shed so you don't have to go all the way to the house to turn it off. I suggested a tankless water heater earlier, and thy could still be added if you did it this way

If you want to do a semi half a$$ed way of doing it, you can run a fresh water hose from your house to a connection in the shed, maybe a sink. That way you can drain the hose when not in use. It would also have a shut of in the shed so you don't have to go all the way to the house to turn it off. I suggested a tankless water heater earlier, and thy could still be added if you did it this way

That is not too bad an idea and with the hot and cold water coming off my house I could figure something out.
Maybe wrap it all back up in the shed after brew day is over. (blow the lines out so they don't freeze)
I could probably get away with using one hose, connect to hot when I want hot and cold when i want cold.
The shut offs for those external water lines is right in my furnace room so it is usually warm.
I just shut the water off inside and then drain the 1' section that goes through the house to the outside faucet..

Because even if I did trench and lay pipes the shed is not heated and they would freeze once in the shed.
I have a tough enough time heating my house let alone wanting to heat my shed. lol

My parents even gave me their old countertop and sink recently.
I could cut the counter to size and hook the sink up.
I need to look up how to drain the grey water from the sink as well.

Also I use regular star-san can that just be dumped out in the woods?

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited by a moderator:
Have you considered going with an electric setup over propane? I don't want to start a debate here, but for anyone brewing in winter I think electric would be the way to go. No fumes, so you can have the doors and windows closed and have some heat on in there!

I no nothing about electric. but I guess I could read into it.
Would i need a lot more power.?

Brian4x4 said:
I no nothing about electric. but I guess I could read into it.
Would i need a lot more power.?

What size batches? For 10 gallon batches you should be fine with a normal 30amp dryer or oven outlet and wiring. Just have an electrician run it to your shed!

What size batches? For 10 gallon batches you should be fine with a normal 30amp dryer or oven outlet and wiring. Just have an electrician run it to your shed!

yeah 10 gal batches with 15gal kegs

So I don't have the electric needed for this in my shed...
I am also thinking more along the lines of half a$$ing it and doing the hose to shed method on brew day.

Just too much involved/work and permits needed for a hobby..
but with the hose I can still have a sink and all that just need to shut off and drain hose line after is all...

Brian4x4 said:
yeah 10 gal batches with 15gal kegs

So I don't have the electric needed for this in my shed...
I am also thinking more along the lines of half a$$ing it and doing the hose to shed method on brew day.

Just too much involved/work and permits needed for a hobby..
but with the hose I can still have a sink and all that just need to shut off and drain hose line after is all...

Yes dragging the hose it is an easy alternative. Not having the electrical already running to your brew shed isn't a big game stopper IMO. How far is your shed from your house? You could do all the work yourself and have an electrician friend look it over and tie it into your breaker panel. Just a matter of digging a little trench to bury the cable and wiring up an outlet.

Im in the process of building a shed for brewing. A very cold winter set in before i could finish. I did run electric, but not water. Its just way too cold here for permanent water to the shed. My plan for water is plumbing the brewing wall with 1/2" pex. I will have a laundry tub hooked up and hookups for my chiller and pot filler. The pex will terminate with a ball valve on the outside of the shed. From there it will be a matter of running my rv hose from the shed to the house on brewdays. When I am done, i can drain all the lines so no freezing.

Yes dragging the hose it is an easy alternative. Not having the electrical already running to your brew shed isn't a big game stopper IMO. How far is your shed from your house? You could do all the work yourself and have an electrician friend look it over and tie it into your breaker panel. Just a matter of digging a little trench to bury the cable and wiring up an outlet.

it is about 30 yards from house but my electric panel is on the opposite side of my house.
I had mentioned earlier that I will be wiring the shed. I had thought about running a bigger wire to my garage and then using a 60amp panel in my garage and run wire to my shed.
But after talking to my electrician friend he think for saving me money we can just wire the shed to my garage, then if I want to upgrade in the future I could do the 60amp panel thing but it is costly.

So even though I will have a few plugs and lights in the shed I will not have a 30amp dryer type plug to run those big electric heaters..

So thinking about the gas burner way still, but am still in planning stages so anything can change.

Im in the process of building a shed for brewing. A very cold winter set in before i could finish. I did run electric, but not water. Its just way too cold here for permanent water to the shed. My plan for water is plumbing the brewing wall with 1/2" pex. I will have a laundry tub hooked up and hookups for my chiller and pot filler. The pex will terminate with a ball valve on the outside of the shed. From there it will be a matter of running my rv hose from the shed to the house on brewdays. When I am done, i can drain all the lines so no freezing.

I have a laundry tub basin sink that was given to me I want to hook up now out in the shed.
I think we agree running the hose is a more cost effective way.
but you say use 1/2" pex in the brew wall?
what is that?

Also how will you drain all the lines so they do not freeze?
Even the hose after rolling it up?
just trying to figure out how this will all work..

ok so I have a hose coming to the shed./
how should it enter?
how should I pipe it to the sink?
I already have a plan for the sink drain. as long as it is at a slope all the water should drain out fine.

thanks!

Brian4x4 said:
it is about 30 yards from house but my electric panel is on the opposite side of my house.
I had mentioned earlier that I will be wiring the shed. I had thought about running a bigger wire to my garage and then using a 60amp panel in my garage and run wire to my shed.
But after talking to my electrician friend he think for saving me money we can just wire the shed to my garage, then if I want to upgrade in the future I could do the 60amp panel thing but it is costly.

So even though I will have a few plugs and lights in the shed I will not have a 30amp dryer type plug to run those big electric heaters..

So thinking about the gas burner way still, but am still in planning stages so anything can change.

thanks!

If your running electrical to the shed anyway it's pretty simple. You'll just need to use heavier wire to the shed, a bigger breaker in your panel box, and a dryer/oven receptical.

If your running electrical to the shed anyway it's pretty simple. You'll just need to use heavier wire to the shed, a bigger breaker in your panel box, and a dryer/oven receptical.

but I had planned to tap off the garage circuit, not run a wire all the way from my panel.
Since I had just planned on wiring stuff like, light, plug for fermenting chamber and electric for duct fan.

Well tax return came in today! whoo hoo! maybe if I can get permission (wife lol) I can re-wire my garage with a panel and then I can run the 30amp to shed....
will see.
I am going to have a busy summer!

no go, have less money for project than expected.
going to cheap out and do a 3 tier setup for now.

couple of pictures and inside design of what I am thinking of doing to save money.
I don't have money for a metal frame, and I do not have money for any kind of pumps or temp controllers or regulators to make the other brew stand.
I do have enough wood around to make a 3 tier gravity setup.
SO this is kinda my plan.

turn this

into something like this.

I can pick up another turkey burner cheap and I have 2 other kegs to cut up.
I am thinking I can build a copper pipe fly sparge thing gravity fed.

Not sure about vent yet, still doing research on that.

I want it to be as functional as possible, I plan to have water ran to hot water tank just above it.
Also trap door to keep propane under it.
Little stair setup so I can mash and add water with ease.

I would love to have Stainless steel on the wall behund everything but not sure how much those thin sheets cost.

other side of shed I am still cleaning out but I will be removing that shelf and installing my countertop and sink in there.
And my fermenting fridge will go on the right side.

I began reading this thread because my plan is to convert one of my old farmsteads outbuildings into a dedicated brewery. I have already learned a number of issues I need to consider. But that is not my point right now.

Rather,it is apparent that once you began researching, asking questions and redesigning preliminary plans your brewery is beginning to look way different than when you began the process. At the end of the day, you will have made good beer.

Some people look at this hobby for the end product. Good beer is always a grand goal. Others look at the hobby as a series of steps building to that grand goal.

Building a dedicated brewery has many, many steps to it. It could take years and years. And each step of the process is an important part of the overall hobby.

I am now entering the process of building my terminal brewery. A dedicated building with a 15 gallon capacity set up to allow me to brew safely into my 80's. I will continue to use the single tier gas fired brew stand for awhile. My intention is to eventually move to electric.

So rather than build too much indoor infrastructure for the gas system, I will burn outside and pump back into the shed housing my conical. But as I build I will plan for and add the necessary electrical wiring within the shed for the 220 side. I may not upgrade the line from the house to the shed until later, but the inside wiring will be arranged. I will probably wire for some electrical base heat. I also have a chimney for a wood fired stove. My consideration is, plan what you want and then use the hobby to get there even if it takes smaller steps over years. Part of the hobby can be the planning process as you already know. I do not like to buy things twice so that allows my hobby some additional planning and considerations. (I already have the pump and fixtures for a 15 gallon system that I acquired during earlier builds. I used a keggle for 5 gallon brews knowing one day I would want a ten gallon brewery.)

You are beginning an exciting project here. Take your time, plan it well and you actually can have the system you first described. But if that is where you want to go then plan your preliminary systems with that in mind.

Good luck, I look forward to watching your build.

you know . the more I look at the shed and keep working stuff over in my head I am just not 100% sure on anything yet. I didn't take much consideration in the cooling the wort aspect with my above drawings. Well it was a late night (homebrew) drawing haha.
I cleaned the shed out some more today and I measured this piece of countertop I have and my basin sink and how wide my fridge is.
So going to be setting that side all up 1st anyway.
that will be the side I need to focus on a few things.
Making the base for the countertop to sit on, installing the sink.
The figure out how I am going to run pipes in and out of the sink.
Along with power to the fridge and lights and such.
If I had the money all this would be easier.
but it is a hobby and does not take priority.
I plan to do my next brew in it none the less I am sure it will be just as a pain as it is in my garage.
Having to lug water out and hoses around to cool stuff.

I am not sure if I will be using a plate chiller or a custom counterflow chiller.
either way I was hoping to minimize water usage and use a pump in the basin sink to pump water through the chiller with ice around it or something..

I am also thinking I want to insulate the walls and put some dry wall or wood up.

My parents are doing their kitchen over again so I am going to take their old purgo flooring boards and put that in the shed. that will be cool for free and look nice.

I also pretty much decided for the vent above the brew zone I want to make a custom range hood.
Giant one with 1 or 2 fans to exhaust out the back of the shed.
So research I have done shows me needing a drip edge all the way around so maybe I can have thos drain to one corner and then into a tube and out or something.
I want it to be open so I can put a ladder up and wipe and wash it clean periodicity.

I would also love to have Stainless steel behind the cook zone.

I think my prior picture was rushing much of this build.
(Because I want to get brewing again bad lol)
so I am going to continue to brew the way I do now and just keep thinking and building my shed up as I go.
It is gonna take some time and I gotta face that fact I cannot have it built to spec the way I want it ASAP because money is not available for the build ya know.

thanks for the motivation and insight.
I will post pics of the countertop once I get a chance to work on it.
Hopefully soon

you know . the more I look at the shed and keep working stuff over in my head I am just not 100% sure on anything yet. I didn't take much consideration in the cooling the wort aspect with my above drawings. Well it was a late night (homebrew) drawing haha...

So take a deep breath, slow down and enjoy your hobby.

I assume you are making the beer right now you enjoy. Keep making it.

Allow the hobby to take you where it will. Planning is huge here.

IE, will you insulate the floor of your brew shed for winter? In Wisconsin that is my first consideration, but you live in a warm state. Put your resources where you need to with out overspending. Again, let the hobby take you.

You do realize a lot of us actually live in houses that were built before "grounding" and "3 wire" were common yes? :mad:

That and if he's going to "just" have someone run 30a to his shed, he might as well get water plumbed at the same time as he'll already be digging a trench.

Thanks guys,
yes I am going to take it as slow as I can in building.
I will keep brewing the good beer I brew at the moment and let me brew shed take form.
I have been looking into those hoses with the heated wire in them as an option for water.
For electric for now I plan to keep it simple. (plans may change someday if I do a electric brew setup) I just don't have money for all that stuff yet.
I can tap into my garage circuit easily just to get a light and fan and plug for my fermenting chamber.

I used some old countertop and recycled wood to make this part so far.
All is move-able for now since I still need to figure out if I am putting wood on walls, drywall, or hole board.

I plan to have storage for my grains in tuperware under the counter.
Also my wife thinks I should paint it and make some simple doors for the spaces.

I have a small soda fridge for the right side, then my big RC cola fridge will be over on the right as well.
Kinda the center piece when you walk in the shed on the back wall.
I used panoramic picture mode on my cell phone, so don't think it looks so non-square in real life.

My father is taking out his old kitchen floor soon so I will probably clean the whole shed out and do the floor and walls soon using hid old flooring.

I bet all those people in Mass. Will be surprised to find out they live in a warm state! ;)

:mug:

Cyber...I look out my window and it is snowing. I expect 4"s overnight. Ran into St. Paul to pick up supplies at Northern Brewery today. Rushed back home because between the town rd. and my home is a trout stream. My bridge crossing that stream is real, real close to flooding. I made it today but do not believe I will leave my property for the next couple of days unless I walk out to the neighbors to the north. Life be good.

oh yes my friend, MA is a warm weather state.

Thanks guys,
yes I am going to take it as slow as I can in building.
I will keep brewing the good beer I brew at the moment and let me brew shed take form.
I have been looking into those hoses with the heated wire in them as an option for water.
For electric for now I plan to keep it simple. (plans may change someday if I do a electric brew setup) I just don't have money for all that stuff yet.
I can tap into my garage circuit easily just to get a light and fan and plug for my fermenting chamber.

I used some old countertop and recycled wood to make this part so far.
All is move-able for now since I still need to figure out if I am putting wood on walls, drywall, or hole board.

I plan to have storage for my grains in tuperware under the counter.
Also my wife thinks I should paint it and make some simple doors for the spaces.

I have a small soda fridge for the right side, then my big RC cola fridge will be over on the right as well.
Kinda the center piece when you walk in the shed on the back wall.
I used panoramic picture mode on my cell phone, so don't think it looks so non-square in real life.

My father is taking out his old kitchen floor soon so I will probably clean the whole shed out and do the floor and walls soon using hid old flooring.

Looks good Brian. A word of caution....many brewers are concerned with crushing malt in the area they also ferment.

My plan is to separate the two processes. Dunno just a thought others may comment upon.

hmm why is that? If it is kept neat and clean what is the problemo?

Malt dust spread around. BTW - please use the quote function so we know the source of your comments. It allows us to follow your thread more efficiently.

Looking at fans to use with my custom made condensate hood.
See either inline duct fans or inline exhaust fans that have a more round bubble look to them and not really knowing the difference as to what to get..
figure it needs to be 500+ CFM though and I think 8" duct would be good.?

Could I use propane burner in my shed without keeping door open if I had installed ______??? just wondering (thinking ahead to winter...)
I do plan to re-use and install 2 windows from my house into my shed for light and ventilation...
Just wondering it I wanted to shut the doors what I would need to keep the room healthy.
like if it is doable and what it takes? on a budget. I will be sure to have a carbon monoxide detector to be sure..
Everything I have read says that if I have good ventilation I can be fine. just looking for the pro opinion,.

Back