BCS/pump wiring

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaleyBrew

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I'm new to the forum- just got a BCS-462. I've been brewing for a while and wanted to step up my game but I don't really know much about electronics. I've got a friend helping me out this weekend (I don't even know enough to be dangerous so I'm calling in backup!) but I'm trying to learn as much as possible so I can be much more self sufficient when I want to expand my system. I've been reading through a lot of the posts here (and other forums) but I'm looking to get some specific help.

I'm starting off fairly basic with the BCS and this is what I would like to do-

Single tier- two (March) pump system. For now I just want the BCS to turn the pumps off/on and also give me a temp read-out via probes. Setting up the probes doesn't seem be a problem but wiring the pumps does. All of the electronics will be enclosed in a control box (like most people) and I'd like to have everything powered off of one main power source- including the BCS (is this part possible?). I've attached a wiring diagram so I'm hoping someone can take a look and let me know if I'm on the right track or way off. I dont have a lot of room for my brewing equipment so I'm putting the outlets inline with the pumps on the outside of the box so it's easier to disassemble and store (i.e. I can unplug the pumps from the control box and wrap them up instead of being hard wired into the circuits).

A couple of additional questions-
1) what type of extension cord do I need for my main power source?
2) what gauge wire do I need for the SSR/terminal & terminal/outlet wiring?

Thanks in advance for any help. I would really appreciate it.

Sean

View attachment BCS462.pdf

I don't see your attached wiring diagram. To answer your questions, it depends on what amperage you are running across the wires. For main power 120vac with 15amps, 12-14 guage is a good choice. For the low voltage wiring from the bcs to the SSRs you can use smaller gauge wiring. I've posted my diagram under the Coloradan single tier thread - it may give you some ideas.

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to the forum- just got a BCS-462. I've been brewing for a while and wanted to step up my game but I don't really know much about electronics. I've got a friend helping me out this weekend (I don't even know enough to be dangerous so I'm calling in backup!) but I'm trying to learn as much as possible so I can be much more self sufficient when I want to expand my system. I've been reading through a lot of the posts here (and other forums) but I'm looking to get some specific help.

I'm starting off fairly basic with the BCS and this is what I would like to do-

Single tier- two (March) pump system. For now I just want the BCS to turn the pumps off/on and also give me a temp read-out via probes. Setting up the probes doesn't seem be a problem but wiring the pumps does. All of the electronics will be enclosed in a control box (like most people) and I'd like to have everything powered off of one main power source- including the BCS (is this part possible?). I've attached a wiring diagram so I'm hoping someone can take a look and let me know if I'm on the right track or way off. I dont have a lot of room for my brewing equipment so I'm putting the outlets inline with the pumps on the outside of the box so it's easier to disassemble and store (i.e. I can unplug the pumps from the control box and wrap them up instead of being hard wired into the circuits).

A couple of additional questions-
1) what type of extension cord do I need for my main power source?
2) what gauge wire do I need for the SSR/terminal & terminal/outlet wiring?

Thanks in advance for any help. I would really appreciate it.

Sean

Sean,

I just took a look at your diagram and I see some problems with the schematic. Give me a little while and I will create a revised schematic...be back in a few.

OK. Here's a schematic that should accomplish what you want. (The .pdf is attached as well if the attached image is illegible.)

In the case of pumps, there is no need to use an SSR. You can use a relay with a 5V coil. SSRs are only needed where the circuit will be switched on/off frequently, such as in the case of a heating element in a BK or MT. Although, there is nothing that would stop you from using an SSR instead of a relay if you really wanted to.

As for gauge, for the pumps, you may use 12ga and for the relay coil wiring, you may use something as low as 16 or 18 ga.

If you have any questions about the schematic, don't hesitate to ask!

BCS462.jpg

View attachment BCS462.pdf

Thanks for the help guys, I really appreciate it. I posted over on the embedded control concepts forum and managed to get a better schematic together. I've posted an updated version. Let me know what you think.

I already bought the SSRs and terminal blocks so I need to work off of those. Good to know I could use 5V coils for some other applications instead of SSRs. I'm new to electronics so I'm just getting parts that everyone else seems to be using. Once I get my head wrapped around all of this I'll be a bit more adventurous.
I went to Home Depot and got 14 gauge wire and a 9 ft 15 amp 14 gauge extension cord- I saw this post afterwards so it's good to know I'm on the right track!

how do I figure out the amperage? the two March pumps will be running simultaneously at some point. I'm looking the pumps and it says 1.4 amps 115 volts.

Thanks again

View attachment BCS462(2).pdf

14 ga wire is ok up to 15A. You will be ok running both pumps on that cord. Now, if you ever want to upgrade and add a heating element, then we'll have to rethink that wire gauge for the main supply.

Also, I just looked at your revised schematic. I think you're OK now. Just be sure to connect the BCS output to the SSR "+" side of it's "coil" and the "-" side of the "coil" to the BCS GND terminal. Do that and you should have BCS control of your pumps!

Back