Pliny the Angry Young Man

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ianmatth

Reaction score
For my first partial mash BIAB, I decided to do a 1.2 gallon Pliny the Younger clone based on scottland's recipe: http://www.bertusbrewery.com/2013/03/pliny-younger-clone-20.html

Late Saturday night I mashed 2 pounds of 2-row and a little over an ounce of C15 in a 9-quart cooler. I heated the water up to 154*. It came down to 148* when I poured it on the grain, so I stirred it for about a minute until it got down to 144*, then I closed the lid. I wanted to do a 90 minute rest at 144*, but after 90 minutes the temperature had gone down to 132*. I heated the wort to 168 and did a dunk sparge, but ultimately got 48% efficiency. I added 1.4 lbs DME and 3 oz sugar.

My hop additions were as follows:
1 oz Apollo @ 90
14g CTZ @ 45
10g Simcoe @ 30
14g Simcoe @ 0
10g Centennial @ 0
7g Amarillo @ 0
3g CTZ @ 0

I quickly cooled my wort to 140, let it slowly cool to 120 over the next hour to whirlpool the hops, and quickly cooled to 70 after that, and poured it through a strainer into my 3 gallon carboy. I thought I would lose more water to boil off than I did, so at the end I had 1.4 gallons and gravity was only 1.075. I also didn't realize how old my freshly shipped WLP090 was. I needed 90 billion cells, but my yeast had less than 40 billion cells based on the exp date. I wish I would have looked at it on Friday and made a starter, but I didn't. Therefore I decided to use an 11.5g packet of S-04. I re-hydrated the packet in 2 cups of water and dumped it in my wort. That brought the gravity down to 1.070 so I decided to keep adding sugar until I got the gravity up to 1.088. Therefore I added another 11 oz of sugar. While the hops may be like PTY, it has way more sugar and an English yeast, which is why I'm calling it Pliny the Angry Young Man.

Do you plan on dry hopping this? If so, what is your schedule and what are the amounts? I am putting in an order soon for supplies and I think having a gallon of PTY on the side would not be a bad thing at all.

Since I don't have a properly sized container to dry hop the whole 1.5 gallons, and because I'm impatient, I'll most likely split this up into some smaller sizes. I'll do at least one with the full 4 dry hop additions, probably at 3-5 days each. I'll do the first two in the secondary and then transfer it to another container for the final two since I don't want any of the dry hop additions sitting in the beer for more than 10 days. I might do the other as two additions like PTE (80% at 12-14 before bottling, and 20% at 5 days before bottling). I might even just combine it all and do a single 7-10 day dry hop. My planned dry hop schedule is:

DH1: 4g ea: Simcoe/Amarillo/Warrior
DH2: 8g ea: CTZ/Centennial
DH3: 4g ea Simcoe/CTZ + 2g Warrior
DH4: 8g ea Simcoe/Amarillo

I did another 1.2 gallon PTY partial mash. This time I wrapped my cooler in a comforter, so after mashing at 144 for 90 minutes, temperature had only dropped to 138 and I ended up with 55% efficiency. After that I heated the water up, put my grain back in, and kept the temperature between 156-168 while mashing/sparging (dunking the bag and pushing it around with a spatula) for the next 10 minutes. That got my efficiency up to 75%, so I only needed half a pound of DME this time.

For my 90 minute hop addition, I used CTZ and Bravo instead of Apollo. After whirlpooling, straining, and cooling, I pitched 70 billion cells of WLP090 and added 4 oz of sugar. OG is 1.086. PTAYM is down to 1.014 after a week.

I started the dry hop schedule for PTAYM. Gravity is still at 1.014, I'm hoping that taking the temp up to 70 while dry hopping will take it down a few more points. I split it into 1.5 L and 1 gallon portions. Started the 1.5 L portion with DH1: 1.2g g ea: Simcoe/Amarillo/Warrior. I combined DH1 and DH2 in the 1 gallon portion, 2.8g ea: Simcoe/Amarillo/Warrior, 5.6g ea: CTZ/Centennial.

My PTY clone with the WLP090 is down to 1.016 after a week.

I added DH3 and DH4 to the 1 gallon portion of PTAYM, 8.4g Simcoe, 5.6g Amarillo, 2.8g CTZ, 1.4g Warrior. I also split my 1.2 gallon PTY batch into two portions and started a similar dry hop schedule, although with the one I plan to only do two dry hops with, I started with 80% of the total of the four dry hops and will finish with 20% of the total of the dry hops similar to Pliny the Elder. Gravity was down to 1.013.

Added DH3: 1.2g ea: Simcoe/CTZ + 0.6g Warrior to the 1.5 L portion of PTAYM.

Bottled PTAYM, tastes pretty good. Added final 20% and DH3: 1.2g ea: Simcoe/CTZ + 0.6g Warrior to my PTY portions.

I bottled my PTY clone. I used cane sugar and added a little bit of yeast when I bottled. My high-OG IPAs normally carb up in a week, but PTAYM is taking a lot loneger. I think the reason is that I poured the batch through a strainer when transferring rather than directly pouring or racking as I normally do. Either that, or the excessive amount of dry hops. Regardless, I think it had a lot less yeast by the time I was ready to bottle it. We'll see if the added yeast makes a difference for the PTY clone.

The yeast isn't the issue. PTAYM is finally carbed up after close to 4 weeks. PTY isn't carbed up yet, but I think it will be there next week.

Back