Fermentation exploding

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

herbalady

Reaction score
I followed the recipe for Dandelion wine which was recommended on this forum.
I got to the part where I strain it into secondary fermentation bottles then add white raisins & attach air lock.
WIthin a few minutes, it was bubbling so hard, it blew the top off. Then the raisins floated to the top & at times would get stuck in the base of the airlock which caused it to pop again.
I already lost a 3-4 inches of liquid out of the bottle.
Do I need to add water to bring the liquid up to the neck of the bottle again? I don't have any excess liquid, the amount was just right after straining it to fit into 2 gal. jugs with no extra left over.
Should it be bubbling this hard? The liquid is coming up out of the bottle into the airlock & pushing it out the top, running down the sides.

I followed the recipe for Dandelion wine which was recommended on this forum.
I got to the part where I strain it into secondary fermentation bottles then add white raisins & attach air lock.
WIthin a few minutes, it was bubbling so hard, it blew the top off. Then the raisins floated to the top & at times would get stuck in the base of the airlock which caused it to pop again.
I already lost a 3-4 inches of liquid out of the bottle.
Do I need to add water to bring the liquid up to the neck of the bottle again? I don't have any excess liquid, the amount was just right after straining it to fit into 2 gal. jugs with no extra left over.
Should it be bubbling this hard? The liquid is coming up out of the bottle into the airlock & pushing it out the top, running down the sides.

Let it have some headspace since it's so active, and when it slows down, you can top it up with water. For now, take the airlock off and cover it with sanitized foil or a clean sanitized cloth and let it go.

I would top up with some water or sugar & water at the same gravity the original must was at. Then you can take a water bottle and siphon off some of the liquid, loosely fit the cap to the water bottle and throw it in the fridge. That will give you some headspace and when it calms down top off with the water bottle of must. I often siphon off a water bottles worth before pitching yeast and keep it cool just for this situation.

Back